Author Topic: KILRANE Parish Help is Here WEXFORD County  (Read 10103 times)

Offline DebNChicago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
KILRANE Parish Help is Here WEXFORD County
« on: Monday 22 November 10 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Friends,

I have been researching my ancestors from Kilrane parish for many years with plans to publish.  Along the way I have accumulated a relatively large amount of data pertaining to the 18 and 19th centuries specifically, and as a result for several families of this era and place.  If I can assist in your research quest for same please do not hesitate. I would be happy to share what I know.  By the way, if your ancestors went by the any of the names:

O'CONNOR, HOWLIN, PETTIT or FURLONG in KILRANE Parish or BARRY from KILMORE Parish, we may be distant cousins.  Please write.

Best Regards,

Deb N.
Chicago, IL
Ireland:
WEXFORD County, IE: FORTH Barony, KILRANE Parish: O'CONNOR/ Connor / Connors of Ballygeary, PETTIT of Hayesland, FURLONG of Hayesland, HOWLIN of Ballygillane, also BARRY of KILMORE Parish, POULRANE

DUBLIN County IE: DUBLIN City, North Quays: DOWLING

Luxembourg:
PALS from MEDERNACH
NILLES from ESCHDORF and NIEDERMERTZIG

Offline sihuss

• RootsChat Member
  • Dudley Thomas Hussey (1871-1944)
    • View Profile
Re: KILRANE Parish Help is Here WEXFORD County
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

I don't suppose you've come across references to WICKHAM/TODD/BOYCE families in the area.

I also have an Elizabeth Furlong (1889-1947) who marries a John Wickham in my tree.  Don't know anything of her parentage though.  Ring any bells?

Would love to hear from you in any case.

Simon

Offline DebNChicago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Simon,

Nice to hear from you.  First of all some very good news for you.  Your ancestor Elizabeth Furlong was born and married AFTER the start of civil registration in Ireland so you should easily obtain the names of both of her parents if you have any other detail to match identity, like exact birth/ wedding dates and county. If she was born in 1889 and you get parents names from birth record, you have an outstanding chance of them obtaining HER parents wedding record (lists father of the groom names) and possibly even their birth records to learn her grandparents names.  Ditto for her groom Furlong.  This is where I optimally need you to get to in order match you up with a farm.  It is totally doable.   The catholic  parish records for this area began in 1853 so you have an additional resource in those records too if they were Catholic.  None of this is online of course but I can point you in the right direction to obtain the information unless you are physically in Ireland (at which you can go get it in person in Dublin).  More good news,  the name Wickham rings more then some bells.  Yes indeed.  The Wickham family is interned  immediately next to my O'Connor ancestors.   I have a photo plus transcriptions from the cemetery for you if we can identify they are the correct Wickham's.  I also found a grave in this cemetery for a John Todd.  No Boyce, sorry.  MANY Furlongs.  Do you know if your Wickham  ancestors were from Kilrane for sure?  If yes, there were three 19C Wickham farms in Kilrane  farms,  two in Churchtown township and one in Ballyaddraugh.   I have acreage for you and names of heads of household in 1833 and 1853 as well as an 1848 reference.  Happy to share.  Also, please note some documents mid century seem to have MISSPELLED the name Wickham as "Weekin", so keep this in mind as a possibility in your research.  I will be most curious to hear what you learn about Elizabeth Furlong (parents, grandparents), just in case we may be related!
I hope this is helpful,  Deb N.
Ireland:
WEXFORD County, IE: FORTH Barony, KILRANE Parish: O'CONNOR/ Connor / Connors of Ballygeary, PETTIT of Hayesland, FURLONG of Hayesland, HOWLIN of Ballygillane, also BARRY of KILMORE Parish, POULRANE

Luxembourg:
PALS from MEDERNACH

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
Simon- both the 1901 and 1911 census are online (free) and you can search for Elizabeth Furlong and John Wickham-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

There's a Bessie Furlong the right age here-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Kilscoran/Lough/1802135
A Furlong (female)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/New_Ross_Urban/Charleton_Hill/1798663
And more possibilities (I searched for a female surname Furlong in Co. Wexford age 12 in 1901) but without knowing an exact place and at least her father's name it will probably be very difficult to find the correct person.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sihuss

• RootsChat Member
  • Dudley Thomas Hussey (1871-1944)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both, but my interest is purely a passing one.

My Wickham line is fully developed - I was just curious to see if Debs had any fresh material that I hadn't come across.

Thanks though!

Simon

Offline DebNChicago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Simon,

The John Wickham and Elizabeth Furling in question are a bit "too new" for my study period, but I can share a couple tidbits where records mention the family prior, including your Philip from Ballygillane.

The first family reference are those interned at St. Ruane Cemetery.  This is the original i.e.  OLD cemetery in Kilrane and most likely spot for Catholic internments in the late 18th to mid 19th century.  There are a smaller number late 19th to 20th century interments here but you are right,  the place was pretty full by then and many went to St. Aidan's unless the family still had room at St. Ruane.    One of these men may be Philip's Grandfather? As mentioned, they are interned directly next to (to the left) of my O'Connor ancestors interned here from Ballygeary.  Ballygeary directly borders Ballygillane so they knew each other. i.e. were neighbors.

Here is a preview of those interned noted: (Photo)

In 1833, Tithe records show the head of household for the Wickham farm in Ballygillane as James Wickham.  If Philip was from Ballygillane this is a relation; likely either father or brother (??)
The farm was 20 plantation acres, and near the Patrick FURLONG farm in Ballygillane which was also 20 plantation acres. 

The first mention of a Philip I have on file is found in Subscriptions to the Poor Relief Fund in the Electoral Division of Roslare, in the Poor Law Union of Wexford July 28 1846 when he made a contribution of 1lb 1 shilling to the famine relief effort.

1848, another mention of him, this time  contributing to the Daniel O'Connell  "Repeal Fund"  (Freeman’s Journal: 2 May 1848)

By the 1850's Griffith's Valuation something interesting happens.  James Wickham (spelled Weekin) is still head of household for the farm in Ballygillane Little, tenant farmer on property owned by ? Watts.  John Furlong has replaced Patrick Furlong as head of household in the same township, and is also a tenant of ? Watts.    However, we now see a Philip Wickham (again, Weekin) as head of household of the Wickham farm in Churchtown, a farm that is listed as 20 acres, and in 1833 belonged to a Henry Wickham. Tenant farmer of Eliza C. Edwards, one of the larger Lessor's of property in that era.   There was a Furlong farm on Churchtown as well.

I hope this is helpful!

Best, Deb N.

Ireland:

Luxembourg:
PALS from MEDERNACH

Offline Jenny F

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,
I've just registered on this site. My cousin, Andrew, has done a lot of research into our family. My maiden name is Pettit. My great great Grandad, James Pettit (born 1787/ 88 in Hayesland, Wexford). James had a sister Eleanor (born 1784/ 85)who may have married an O'Connor. James' son John (my great Grandad) was born in 1841 in Buenos Aires. John and James emigrated to Australia c. 1840 after his mother (Murphy) died. Andrew has trace James dad as Mark. This may be part of your family too. Cheers Jenny.

Offline Peile

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 03:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, my ancestors are the Lambert's from Ballygillane Big, some of them are buried in the cementry of St. Ruane Parish, but originally from old Kilrane Parish.
Do you know where was locate the old cementry?
I've traced this Lambert line to Argentina and I have info to share about those who emigrated in 1844 from Kilrane.
Regards,
G.Lambert

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 05:57 BST (UK) »
The graveyard is behind the church, you can't see it from the road, this link about the church includes a map where you can view it (it takes a while to load):

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WX&regno=15704823#

Here it is the location in the OSI 6" mapping series 1837-1842, you can pan, zoom etc. but also select to view the location on a more contemporary map:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,712227,611279,6,7