Author Topic: ADDICOAT family name?.......  (Read 13659 times)

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ADDICOAT family name?.......
« on: Friday 17 November 06 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm new here and I am looking for the names Addicoat, Addicott, Addicoate, and a few more derivations. They are running the family christian names of William and John and maybe Thomas. I have traced them back to William and john in the 1660s,  but cannot get back any further.
The name changes and stays as Addicoat from the 1700's.
I was wondering if any one has knowledge of this family name?

I only just stumbled onto this site by accident, but it seems to be an answer to my problems.
Thanks
Jen

Offline tunya7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ADDICOAT family name?.......
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 December 13 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen
Just found this site and your posts...still learning how to navigate it! I may have some info for you as just today I chatted with my second cousin about the family tree...I also have verbal info from my Nana...apparently the Addicoat name was 'anglicised' from the french name, pronouced d'arrcoat...not sure of the spelling...that may explain why its hard to trace past the Addicoat name in the 1700's...

part of the discussion today was that our tree goes back to a 6 member family that came from France and settled in St Buryan....when I get a copy of the details I will have the dates and names of this family...hope this helps, keep me posted  :) Tunya

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 December 13 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tunya,

Thanks, I'd be very interested to hear what you find out. According to my father, there is supposed to be a french connection somewhere around either 1563 or 1653.
Thanks for the contact. :)

Offline tunya7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 13 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen
The earliest we can go back is to this Addicoat family of 6....the members are:

Prudence b 1640 married a Rawlin
Henry 1647-1714 married Dorothy
William b 1655 married Susan (this is my ancestor)
Paskow 1649-1721 married Elizabeth
John b 1651 married Tamsen
Richard b 1653 married Dorothy

They all married in St Buryan...and in the church yard there, a few Addicoat graves with the family 'crest' of a round stone combined with a cross...

Where are you writing from? Are you over in England?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 December 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
apparently the Addicoat name was 'anglicised' from the french name, pronouced d'arrcoat...not sure of the spelling...that may explain why its hard to trace past the Addicoat name in the 1700's...

Here's a romantic theory for you ...

I theorized, from the phonetic spelling, that the name would have been d'Arcote. There is in fact a street by that name in France today. But no Arcote in France. However, a search found a reference to "d'Arcote" in a 19th century history of England in French ... and it transpires that Arcote was the French version of the name of a place in India where a significant battle between French and English forces took place in 1751. It is called Arcot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Arcot

As I was reading the old history text, I wondered why I had never even heard of the French in India. Googling history france "in india" found me some info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_India

France was the last of the major European maritime powers of the 17th century to enter the East India trade in a significant way. ... The first French expedition to India is believed to have taken place in the first half of the 16th century [i.e. 1500s], during the reign of François I, when two ships were fitted out by some merchants of Rouen to trade in eastern seas; they sailed from Le Havre and were never heard of again. In 1604 a company was granted letters patent by Henri IV, but the project failed. Fresh letters patent were issued in 1615, and two ships went to India, only one returning. ...

The map there shows the earliest French colonial empire as including eastern North America and a large part of what is now eastern/northern India, extending south to Pondicherry -- on google maps today, this is Pudacherry. Arcot is about 100 miles north, in what is now Tamil Nadu state.

An 1875 book called Legends of the Black Watch has a story called The Massacre at Fort William Henry [NY state], in 1778, in which the Compte d'Arcot, "a high military noble, who had covered himself with distinction in India", figures. There is only one other reference I could find to Count d'Arcot, in an 1843 Illinois newspaper for which, without paying, I can only see the OCRed text, which refers to an Amerindian woman who had a child who she said "had no claims to the throwne, but was in fact the property of a French emigrant, the Count d'Arcot".

The Black Watch book refers to him as "this soldier of fortune; for such he was, having been created Count d'Arcot and Knight of St. Louis for his bravery at the recapture of that city of Hindostan, the capital of the Carnatic" [i.e. the city of Arcot]. Perhaps he was the source of the name now found in France. Googling france "d'arcot" finds the Bois d'Arcot - Arcot Forest - in France, between Paris and Dijon. There are also various family trees on line with the name d'Arcot/Dargeot in the area of Loubs, France, near the Swiss border (also shown there in the last century at www.geopatronyme.com).

So unfortunately, in any event, this Compte d'Arcot's name dates from the Carnatic Wars in the mid-18th century, and not from the 16th or 17th century. That still leaves the possibility that someone, for instance a man who was there in the earliest days of France's adventures in India, took his name from the city at an earlier date. The French at the time (as anyone who has searched early French records in what are now Canada and the US knows) were quite fond of multiple names: so-and-so dit (called) such-and-such. Various parts of the Drouin collection at Ancestry show the names Arcoite, Arcott(e), Arcouet(te), in French Canada and the US.

Was wondering whether the name might have made its way to the Channel Islands and thence to Cornwall. Jersey Heritage has no record of any variant of the name, though:
http://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_person_search.php

FamilySearch has a baptism in Devon in 1612 that is an error for the name Arscotte. FS does find early Arcot events in Hereford, and also a Mary Arcot buried in 1809 in Bengal, India.

Ah wait, I find an earlier historical reference ...
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 December 13 19:15 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0xdr/

1553, war in France ...

Thus stood affairs when, in the Month of May 1553, Anne de Montmorencie ... raised a numerous army, and marched towards the invaders, who were carrying the tie of war through Picardy ... . With those troops went Sir William Kirkaldy of Grange ... . [The text then refers to other Scottish solidiers of fortune who were with him.]
... Soon afterwards he was informed by a spy, that a strong column of Spanish horse, let by the Duke d'Arcot, were that very night to assault his camp ... . Many brave knights were slain, and Arcot was taken prisoner.

This would be where the name of the Bois d'Arcot comes from, I think.

Old French history books available in google books also refer to the role of the duc d'Arcot in those events.

The title continued in Spain over the years -- another pay-to-view US historical newspaper, 1901:
http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/29206212/

Secretary Hay today gave to the Spanish minister, Duke d'Arcot, a treasury warrant for 8100,000 In payment for the Island of Cagnyan and other islands near the Philippine group.

Apparently in Spanish it is the Duchy of Arcos:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducado_de_Arcos
and is connected with Ponce de Leon.

The early Duke seems equally unlikely to have founded a clan in Cornwall though, I would think. ;)

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 December 13 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen
The earliest we can go back is to this Addicoat family of 6....the members are:

Prudence b 1640 married a Rawlin
Henry 1647-1714 married Dorothy
William b 1655 married Susan (this is my ancestor)
Paskow 1649-1721 married Elizabeth
John b 1651 married Tamsen
Richard b 1653 married Dorothy

They all married in St Buryan...and in the church yard there, a few Addicoat graves with the family 'crest' of a round stone combined with a cross...

Where are you writing from? Are you over in England?

Hi Tunya,

No, I'm in Australia.
5th Generation Addicoat. Descended from William Richard Addicoat and Phillis Penrose.
Ah, the round stone with the cross inside is a Celtic Cross, not the 'family' crest.
The Addicoat crest is actually a fox head.
I have found the best source of information is the Cornwall Parish on Line Website.
It's also very easy to use. The lines you have as your earliest, are the one's I have stopped at as well.
Maybe also look at - AddaCott, Adycot on the Cornish Parish on Line.
Janey's Post may also throw up something.

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 December 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
apparently the Addicoat name was 'anglicised' from the french name, pronouced d'arrcoat...not sure of the spelling...that may explain why its hard to trace past the Addicoat name in the 1700's...

Here's a romantic theory for you ...

I theorized, from the phonetic spelling, that the name would have been d'Arcote. There is in fact a street by that name in France today. But no Arcote in France. However, a search found a reference to "d'Arcote" in a 19th century history of England in French ... and it transpires that Arcote was the French version of the name of a place in India where a significant battle between French and English forces took place in 1751. It is called Arcot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Arcot

As I was reading the old history text, I wondered why I had never even heard of the French in India. Googling history france "in india" found me some info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_India

France was the last of the major European maritime powers of the 17th century to enter the East India trade in a significant way. ... The first French expedition to India is believed to have taken place in the first half of the 16th century [i.e. 1500s], during the reign of François I, when two ships were fitted out by some merchants of Rouen to trade in eastern seas; they sailed from Le Havre and were never heard of again. In 1604 a company was granted letters patent by Henri IV, but the project failed. Fresh letters patent were issued in 1615, and two ships went to India, only one returning. ...

The map there shows the earliest French colonial empire as including eastern North America and a large part of what is now eastern/northern India, extending south to Pondicherry -- on google maps today, this is Pudacherry. Arcot is about 100 miles north, in what is now Tamil Nadu state.

An 1875 book called Legends of the Black Watch has a story called The Massacre at Fort William Henry [NY state], in 1778, in which the Compte d'Arcot, "a high military noble, who had covered himself with distinction in India", figures. There is only one other reference I could find to Count d'Arcot, in an 1843 Illinois newspaper for which, without paying, I can only see the OCRed text, which refers to an Amerindian woman who had a child who she said "had no claims to the throwne, but was in fact the property of a French emigrant, the Count d'Arcot".

The Black Watch book refers to him as "this soldier of fortune; for such he was, having been created Count d'Arcot and Knight of St. Louis for his bravery at the recapture of that city of Hindostan, the capital of the Carnatic" [i.e. the city of Arcot]. Perhaps he was the source of the name now found in France. Googling france "d'arcot" finds the Bois d'Arcot - Arcot Forest - in France, between Paris and Dijon. There are also various family trees on line with the name d'Arcot/Dargeot in the area of Loubs, France, near the Swiss border (also shown there in the last century at www.geopatronyme.com).

So unfortunately, in any event, this Compte d'Arcot's name dates from the Carnatic Wars in the mid-18th century, and not from the 16th or 17th century. That still leaves the possibility that someone, for instance a man who was there in the earliest days of France's adventures in India, took his name from the city at an earlier date. The French at the time (as anyone who has searched early French records in what are now Canada and the US knows) were quite fond of multiple names: so-and-so dit (called) such-and-such. Various parts of the Drouin collection at Ancestry show the names Arcoite, Arcott(e), Arcouet(te), in French Canada and the US.

Was wondering whether the name might have made its way to the Channel Islands and thence to Cornwall. Jersey Heritage has no record of any variant of the name, though:
http://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_person_search.php

FamilySearch has a baptism in Devon in 1612 that is an error for the name Arscotte. FS does find early Arcot events in Hereford, and also a Mary Arcot buried in 1809 in Bengal, India.

Ah wait, I find an earlier historical reference ...

Thanks Janey, Lots of historical information there.

The reason you may not be able to find the name, is that it may have been wiped from the books.
Family lore has it that the family had to flee France because of religious beliefs and the name and crest was destroyed.
They were supposabley blue bloods who were also Huguenots (?), although why they would settle in Cornwall is beyond me.
I have also found a couple of Addicoat's in Devon having to swear allegiance to one of the kings.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 December 13 23:46 GMT (UK) »
(Just a hint -- no need to quote great big posts like mine in order to reply to them!)

No ... names don't get wiped from the books. ;)

The Huguenot names can be traced in France from before their exodus, and there will usually be records of them in England.

Quite a few Huguenots did settle in Devon, in fact. One idea is that the lace-making industry in Devon was originated by Huguenot immigrants. Cornwall not so much I think.

And in fact you have Addicoat records in Cornwall pre-1650, which predates the Huguenot exodus, although there were French protestants in England before then.

"I have also found a couple of Addicoat's in Devon having to swear allegiance to one of the kings."

-- can you provide details of what you have found? It could be quite significant. It could just relate to the Civil War period though, and not to any foreign influence maybe.

edit - I see this theory was explored here back in 2006 and nothing found to support it:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=567593.0