Author Topic: Mary McGinnis/Collins? of county Silgo, b. abt 1868  (Read 8186 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McGinnis/Collins? of county Silgo, b. abt 1868
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
If you look here you will notice that the volume and page are the same for Jane Sweeney/Lynney/Linney and Linny but no mention of the other names!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frank2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
Do you have any if the family elsewhere on any censuses? If so where are they living?
What are the surnames of the sisters on the obituary record?

You mention Matilda - so she can't be Mary?

Is Mary in school in Carbondale?
I do have Matilda in censuses from 1900 until her death in 1947. She was married to Martin Langan and they resided in Carbondale and Fell until their deaths. Matilda was also known as Tillie. Her marriage record can be found on the Lackawanna county, PA website. I don't have censuses for any other siblings right now, although there are some hints on Ancestry but I've been having problems with the site since yesterday so I can't access them for the moment. Matilda is definitely a different person from Mary.

The other sisters' surnames were Connelly (John) of Carbondale, Conroy (Martin) of NYC, and McDonough (William) of NYC. Brothers were also of Carbondale. This is of course all at the time of Mary's death in 1908.
Peterson, Denison, Dennison, Higgins, Bradbury, Collins, McGinnis, Boland, Bradbury, Hawkins, Carey, Linny, Cunningham, Taylor, Orr, McDonald, Hyatt, Weissenfels, Stone, Cole, Myrick, Clark

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
Yes Ancestry is down. I saw the Langan connection and wondered about that but it said she emigrated abt 1889 so I was a put off that one.

Offline Frank2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Yes Ancestry is down. I saw the Langan connection and wondered about that but it said she emigrated abt 1889 so I was a put off that one.
Yeah, I tend to take census immigration dates (and other dates) with a grain of salt, since you never know who actually answered the questions. Sometimes the enumerator would even go next door to ask about a family if no one was home, so the information can be very iffy at times.
Peterson, Denison, Dennison, Higgins, Bradbury, Collins, McGinnis, Boland, Bradbury, Hawkins, Carey, Linny, Cunningham, Taylor, Orr, McDonald, Hyatt, Weissenfels, Stone, Cole, Myrick, Clark

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
Matilda's immigration year is 1887 here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M33W-ZKF. So on the two censuses giving that information it is 1887 and 1889  :-\
But 1910 gives 1880  :)

Offline Frank2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
I came across Jane's father Henery Lynny's death record.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRTT-SWP

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 23:33 BST (UK) »
Excellent  :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 June 14 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,
I have seen the baptismal register for Sarah Anne McGuinness - parents Pat and Jane Linny. The year has been transcribed as 1878 but the civil birth register is 1879. In either case, the date is at odds with the family being in Carbondale in 1875  :-\
I have looked through the registers for Mary but can't see anything.

Heywood

Offline Frank2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 June 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,
I have seen the baptismal register for Sarah Anne McGuinness - parents Pat and Jane Linny. The year has been transcribed as 1878 but the civil birth register is 1879. In either case, the date is at odds with the family being in Carbondale in 1875  :-\
I have looked through the registers for Mary but can't see anything.

Heywood
Yes, it is. Perhaps they went back and forth? That's the only explanation I can think of right now, in any case.