Author Topic: Peregrine Clarke of Kersey Priory  (Read 11472 times)

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peregrine Clarke of Kersey Priory
« on: Friday 24 August 12 09:19 BST (UK) »
This is just a follow-up - in case anyone else asks about him!

I have found a reference to him in the Rev Philip Morant's History and Antiquities of the County of Essex (Peregrine Clarke was born in Witham) which states that he was, as I had found in Coppinger, married first to Frances Waldegrave, the widow of William Waldegrave of Smallbridge.

I have now put a bit more credence to the claim because I have since found that Philip Morant's wife was Anne Stebbing and she was the gt-granddaughter of Hannah Hunt. Hannah was the sister of Mary Hunt, Peregrine Clarke's wife.

Which is all well and good but I've now got to try and trace the marriage of Peregrine and Frances (who died in May 1664)!

Hope this helps someone else who is tearing their hair out over these people!

Offline Don McArthur

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Peregrine Clarke of Kersey Priory
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
This Peregrine CLARKE is an ancestor of my son.  His dau Elizabeth m Kersey 1698 Richard LOVE.

Dau Mary b 1705 m John FIRMIN.

There is a small document at Ipswich PRO which outlines ~ 3 generations of his descendants.

There are several cases at Kew concerning this family.

This from Copinger's Manors II, p. 247 - doesn't add up!

"Thomas Theobald married, ist, Sarah, sister of Sir Robert
Crompton, Knt. ; 2ndly Mary, widow of Peregrine Clarke, of Kersey Priory ;
and 3rdly Theodosia, daughter of Sir Robert Chester, of Cockenhatch, co.
Herts, Knt., and by his will dated 1652,' devised the manor to his eldest
surviving son, Sir Francis Theobald, of Barking Hall."

I have not been able to get anything on Peregrine or his wife Mary 'PARKE' - thanks for her previous relationship.

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 December 13 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Are we sure Peregrine Clarke's second wife was Mary Hunt and is she the same person as Mary Parke (being presumably a widow previously married to a Mr Parke)? And do we know for certain she was the sister of Hannah Hunt, Rev Philip Morant's wife's ancestress? Am trying to sort out all these people. Any help appreciated.
Hew

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, perhaps I can help:
She was Mary Hunt (b 1633) daughter of Joseph Hunt of Great Tey (d 1670) and Mary Chapman. She first married (Jul 6 1654 St Barnabas, Great Tey) John Parke Esq of Kersey Priory who was the son of William Parke and Abigail Brady. William Parke was the son of William Parke of Gestingthorpe (1583-1634) and Hester Strutt (b 1596). I don't know when John Parke died but he and Mary had three children: Joseph b abt 1656 Kersey, Mary b abt 1658 Kersey and Abigail b abt 1661. Joseph and Mary died young - Joseph was definitely dead before 1684 as that was the date of the court case Abigail brought against her mother to recover the lands that her father had left to her in his will (Records of Earls Colne). Abigail married Henry Abbott of Earls Colne, Essex (b 1660 d 1710) on Nov 8 1683 in Kersey.

Peregrine Clarke (d 1680), son of Robert Clarke and Joan Unknown of Witham, Essex m1 Frances Athow dau of Thomas Athow esq of Beachamwell, Norfolk and Ann Wingfield. She was born May 6 1605 Beachamwell Hall, Norfolk and m1 William Waldegrave Esq of Smallbridge, Suffolk (d 1648)  and had at least 6 children; she then married at date unknown Peregrine Clarke and died  May 1664 Wormingford Lodge, Wormingford, Essex. She must have been at least 20 years older than him unless Peregrine and his sister Elizabeth were in fact from an earlier marriage of Robert Clarke's which is not impossible.

Her marriage to Peregrine Clarke (which may well have been a non-conformist one) is attested to by the Rev Philip Morant in his History of Essex - he had married Anne Stebbing the daughter of Solomon Stebbing and Anne Creffield. Solomon's mother was Hannah Hunt (b 1637) Mary Hunt's sister.

Peregrine Clarke then married Mary Parke (nee Hunt) in November of 1664 in the little church at Lindsey (this church was a free church affiliated to no denomination). They had four daughters: Frances (my ancestor) b 1665 Kersey, Elizabeth 1667 Kersey, Mary 1670 Kersey and Martha 1673 all of whom married into various gentry families - if anyone's interested I can list those as well.

I know from other records that:

By 1657 Peregrine had enough money to purchase a house in Witham for his mother, Joan (married again to Robert Garrad but was now a widow). In the will (also 1657) of John True of Witham, the husband of Peregrine's sister, Elizabeth, Peregrine is referred to as Mr Peregrine Clarke of Wormingford Lodge so I am beginning to think that he may have been married to Frances Waldegrave by then. In 1662 he is recorded as paying tax on 10 hearths and the records show that the Lodge was a huge house - pulled down by Thomas Waldegrave, Frances' son, after her death so I get the impression that he was not best pleased at having Peregrine as a step-father!!

In 1662 Peregrine is recorded as being 'granted a turn' to present a new vicar to the living of the Church of St Andrew, Wormingford.

In 1669 he is recorded in the Calendar of Treasury Books as beginning a petition to the King to be allowed to purchase a messuage in Wapping for his brother, Jonah - this was eventually granted in 1673.

Peregrine eventually died at the end of 1679 and his will was probated May 3 1680; where he is buried I don't know. His brother Robert also lived in Kersey and married a Mary Hussey. I haven't found any more details about his sister, Mary, but there are no records for Witham for the non-conformists. My latest find is the marriage of Elizabeth True's daughter, Elizabeth, to Edmund Raven of Cressing in September 1676 - so you never know, more may come to light yet!

Whatever anyone says about him, I think he may have loved Frances Waldegrave - after all he called his first daughter, Frances.

If I can help any more with other members of the family, just let me know.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 14:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a Peregrine Clark buried in Kersey, 24th November, 1679.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this - I've been looking for ages! Much appreciated!

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 17:37 GMT (UK) »
That’s brilliant, collier19. Thanks so much. Peregrine Clarke’s daughter Martha was my ancestor too. Her great granddaughter, Martha Hitchcock, married George Notcutt Conder and was grandmother of Herbert Cowell who was my great grandfather.
Have you ever found any connection between Joseph Hunt of Great Tey and the Hunt family of Gosfield – which seems to be suggested in one or two trees on Ancestry (although without supporting evidence) ?
And do you have any information on the Brookes of Kersey? I guess Ezekiel Brooke, the chirurgeon (d.1730), was a brother of Francis Brooke of Kersey who married another of the Clarke sisters.
Hew

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hew
Brief outline:
Oh this gets so complicated. I'm sure there is a connection with the Gosfield family but I haven't been able to find it....YET! I worry about some of the trees on ancestry because they seem too keen to claim ancestry without any supporting information.

Peregrine's daughter Frances m Ezekiel Brooke 1667-1730 on 22 May 1695 in Westow, Suffolk (parish records). Ezekiel Brooke was a surgeon aged 28 when they married (marriage licence from Suffolk records). Ezekiel  was baptised at Stanningfield on 3 Oct 1667. In 1705 he was bequeathed £5 under the will of Jonah Clarke (Peregrine's youngest brother). Ezekiel died in 1730 in Kersey and buried on 13 Sep 1730. I think that as the Brookes were baptised at Stanningfield that they must have been of the famous Brooke family (look up in Burke's)

Ezekiel was the son of George Brooke, gent, of Wordwell in Suffolk and Sarah Sparke.

Ezekiel's siblings were Susannah b 1657, Mary b 1660, Francis Brooke gent 1664-1733, John 1666, Edgar 1670, Marcus 1672 and Peter who died in 1738. Peter Brooke lived at Wordwell Hall and m Anne Wilson (d 1737) on 30 Dec 1701 at Weststow (parish records)

Frances and Ezekiel had 6 children:

Frances (my ancestor) 1696-1733 m Edward Morley 1690-1746, the son of John Morley of Halstead, Essex.

Mary 1697-1753 m 1722 Charles Amey of Balsham, Cambridgeshire.

Martha m Peter Hitchcock 1683-1748 of Lavenham, Suffolk.

Ezekiel 1700-1729
Jonah Clarke 1702-
Sarah 1705-1759 and Martha 1706-

And there's more...

But to return to Francis Brooke gent. He married Martha Clarke in about 1693 (haven't got the date of the marriage) and they had Mary 1694-1770; George Brooke Esq 1696-1771 of Halstead, an attorney; Sarah b 1698, Martha 1699-1767 and Elizabeth 1706-1773.

etc etc etc

Goodness I think I need to send you a complete family tree but perhaps after anything you like to send me to update my tree?
Honor

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Honor. You've added enormously to my tree. I am happy to send you any info I have collected over the years but don't know where to begin. I can send you all the details I have on Peter Hitchcock's descendants if that would be of interest. Have you placed a tree on Ancestry (I haven't)? If so, would you give me permission to look at it and I can then see what, if anything, I can add - to which you are very welcome. I guess you know a lot about them all than I do. I could send you a gedcom of everyone on my tree but that's over 12,000 names (and I'm sure you won't want all the irrelevant ones!)
You have been so helpful and I feel very lucky to have made contact with you.
Best for Christmas and the New year
Hew