Author Topic: Mauger  (Read 16791 times)

Offline Tim Wheeler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mauger
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 September 08 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara and everyone else

Thanks for your message Tara. I cannot seem to reply to it directly as I get an error message when I try. Elizabeth Mauger's only daughter was Freda Maud Tilbury (nee Brown) and is my grandmother. Elizabeth had a brother called Peter James Mauger who was the one who died at Gallipoli aged 23 in 1915 (to correct what I said in my earlier post). I have his WW1 war medal. Their mother was Betsy Mauger who lived in St Martins, Guernsey. I remember my grandmother telling me that Betsy Mauger could not speak English. She also wore an eye patch, at least in the photos that I have of her. I think that Betsy's father was called Nicholas Mauger, born 1824. He is in the 1881 census as living at Bel Air Cottage, St Martins. One of my oldest photos is of Elizabeth Mauger as a girl standing outside Bel Air Cottage.

Of Elizabeth's children I know that there was Bill, Tom, Arthur, Herbie and Freda (photo 1 attached from 1920), and also Fred (photo 2 attached). Is one of these your grandfather? Have you found the name of Elizabeth's father yet? As you can see most of my information comes from the box of photos that were left to me by my mother, most of which were taken in Guernsey from the 1880's to the 1950s. I would really like to know more about the people in the photos and their relationships to each other. And also about the Mauger's of St Martins, Guernsey.

Best wishes

Tim

Offline Tim Wheeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 September 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara and everyone else

Thanks for your message Tara. I cannot seem to reply to it directly as I get an error message when I try. Elizabeth Mauger's only daughter was Freda Maud Tilbury (nee Brown) and is my grandmother. Elizabeth had a brother called Peter James Mauger who was the one who died at Gallipoli aged 23 in 1915 (to correct what I said in my earlier post). I have his WW1 war medal. Their mother was Betsy Mauger who lived in St Martins, Guernsey. I remember my grandmother telling me that Betsy Mauger could not speak English. She also wore an eye patch, at least in the photos that I have of her. I think that Betsy's father was called Nicholas Mauger, born 1824. He is in the 1881 census as living at Bel Air Cottage, St Martins. One of my oldest photos is of Elizabeth Mauger as a girl standing outside Bel Air Cottage.

Of Elizabeth's children I know that there was Bill, Tom, Arthur, Herbie and Freda (photo 1 attached from 1920), and also Fred (photo 2 attached). Is one of these your grandfather? Have you found the name of Elizabeth's father yet? As you can see most of my information comes from the box of photos that were left to me by my mother, most of which were taken in Guernsey from the 1880's to the 1950s. I would really like to know more about the people in the photos and their relationships to each other. And also about the Mauger's of St Martins, Guernsey.

Best wishes

Tim

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 September 08 20:45 BST (UK) »
 Great family photos to have Tim ...

You will probably find now that you have made 3 postings that you will be able to use the personal message facility now if you wish to ... a restriction was placed on it recently to help prevent spamming, unfortunately it catches out a lot of new members wanting to make contact first up...

:) mare

Offline shilo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 September 08 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello
as I said I am new to all of this to but
I think this is the right ?
Jean mauger married Rachel ?
there are two son that I know of so far
Pierre mauger b 1782 married Charlotte Robert b 1719
and
Nicolas Mauger b 1781 St martin Guernsey married Judith Mollet b 1802
They had three children that I know of
Nicolas Mauger b 1824 St martin married Patty ? b 1826
Judith mauger b 1828
John Mauger b 1828 not sure if they are twins ?

Nicolas and Patty's children would be

Betsy mother of Elizabeth Martha Mauger ?

this is what I have been told form my family records and from the census that some lovely people on this site have looked up for me as well as the details you have all said.
If correct that would make us distance cousin threw Jean and Rachel.
my  5 x great grandparents their son Pierre b 1782 is my 4x great grandfather Nicolas b 1781 is your connection.

regards Jackie
Mauger, Le Pelley, Tapp, Molloy, Stephenson, Fogden,
Lawson, McInnes

Offline shilo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 September 08 12:27 BST (UK) »
Census for
1851 H0107/2531 folio 202 page 9 St Martin Guernsey

Saints Bay Road
Nicolas Mauger age 50 Fisherman  St Martin
Judith Mauger wife age 58 St  Martin
//
Nicolas Mauger age 27 Fisherman St Martin
Patty Mauger wife age 25 St Martin
/

Le Page
/
John Mauger age 23 Shoemaker St Martin
Patty Mauger wife age 26 born Catil
Lawson, McInnes

Offline shilo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 September 08 12:30 BST (UK) »
1841 H0107/1460/4 folio 51 page 22 St Martin Guernsey
 All born on Island
Saint

Hilary Robert male age 29 Barber
Julia Robert age 29
William Robert age 6
Martha Robert age 5
Hilary Robert son age 3
Julia Robert age 1
//
Elizabeth Mollett age 59
Betsy Robert age 35
Martha Robert age 25 Ironer?
Peter Robert age 21
Sophia Robert age 18 Ironer
//

2 families
//
Nicholas Mauger age 39 Fisherman
Judith Mollett age 49
Nicholas  Mauger age 17 Fisherman
Judith Mauger age 14
John Mauger age 13
Hilary Mauger age 50 male Fisherman
//
John Claire age 65 Ind
//

Peter Mauger age 60 Farmer
Nichs H Mauger age 20 Farmer
John Mauger age 15 Shoemaker
Charlotte Robert age 60
/
Nicholas Mauger age 55 Fisherman
//

Martin and Page family
//

Next page
//
Martha Mollet age 87
Catherine Martin age 50
Elizabeth Martin age 48
//
Pater Martin age 40 Mason
Elizabeth Mauger age 40
//
Peter Mollett age 39
Rachel age
//

Rienlet?

Thomas Mauger age 35 Farmer
Mary Mauger age 35
Mary Mauger age 2
/
Elizabeth Martin age 75 Ind
//

Lawson, McInnes

Offline tara harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 October 08 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

Am so stupid, I deleted your email with your address!!! I did put your number into my phone just in case we got lost but tried to call it this morning to get your address again and it just comes up unobtainable!!! The number I have is 01189548500.

Please don't think that we did not want to come to see you, I am so very annoyed with myself.

I have had to send you an email via Roots as did not keep your personal email either, duh!!

Please, please can we rearrange or if by some miracle you get this email today give me a call my number is 07786934332.

Sorry again, I hope that we did not inconvenience you or your family

Regards

Tara

Offline Frankie Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Tim,

I was very pleased to read your post and to see the photos. My grandfather was William, Freda's older brother and I have just started researching the Guernsey side of the family tree. One of my aunts has an old photo album and I was looking at some lovely photos of Freda's wedding last week. I would love to get in touch with you to share information.

Frankie

Offline tara harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Frankie

Good luck with your research I have been stopping then starting again on my family tree since my first post back in 2008 lol

My grandfather was Fredrick your grandads brother :-)

I have been to the grave for our great grandparents as they were both buried in our village. My mum and myself went searching for it and were about to give up when my mum fell over a stone in the graveyard which belonged to them but was hidden under lots of overgrowth.

Best wishes

Tara