Author Topic: Barnes Otherwise Fry  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Scales

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barnes Otherwise Fry
« on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi ...

I am trying to figure out why My GGGGGrandfather  suddenly changed his name from Barnes to Fry .

There are baptism and marriage records from the same parish ( Spetisbury Dorset )  for around  the same  time as my Ancestor for people known as  Barnes otherwise Fry and I think that there must be a link but have not been able to prove it yet.

My question is  Why would a person be known as  Barnes otherwise Fry. ???

Thanks

Emma
Edmunds: Cardiff
Hughes : Merthyr Tydfil and Rhondda Valley
Scales : South Wales,London, Norfolk. Suffolk
Jacob : Norfolk, Cheshire , Barry
Bould : Staffordshire
Whitehouse :Staffordshire
Hughes : Staffordshire
Kitsell : Staffordshire

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barnes Otherwise Fry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
There are Barnes and Frys in the village since at least the 16th century (including a Barnes/Fry marriage in 1756 that may be relevant). Names such as yours are often as a result of an illegitimacy followed by a marriage, or a second marriage, where are a child born before the marriage changes his/her name after the marriage.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
maybe he was illegitimate and either his mother was a fry and married a Barnes or vice versa or his actual father was a Barnes or a fry.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Scales

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Richard ,

I assumed that the two names oridinally from a marriage between a Barnes & Fry. My GGGG Grandfather is Justinian Barnes Bapt 1802 son of Thomas and Mary Barnes.  It looks Like Thomas Later Married Ann . ( Or Mary and Ann are the same person as there 4 generations of Mary Ann Barnes )

bapt records show 4 children of Thomas and Ann who are shown as Fry Otherwise Barnes  and 4 more as just Barnes.

Justinians marriage shows him as Barnes and his children are bapt as Barnes. he is on on 1841/51/61 census as Justinian or Jesse Barnes then 1871 he appears as FRY along with his son George and Family.  
 Geroges Family all then go on to use Barnes or Fry or Barnes Fry or Fry Barnes . There are decendants using both Fry and Barnes.  Justinian moved around the country so I originally thought the name change was due to him hiding from something but maybe not as he returned to Spetisbury to die in 1879 as Jessie Barnes.  there are now 3 of us Barnes Fry ancestors working together to solve this. Me in the UK and  One in Australia and one in Canada.

Thanks

Emma

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 August 11 18:31 BST (UK) »
I think that Mary and Ann are two different people.

The Spetisbury registers show two marriages:

1801: Thomas FRY = Mary KIMBER (Witness was Honour BARNES)
1809: Thomas FRY and Ann BEST

The 1841 census has Thomas (62) and Ann (50) FRY with three children: Henry, William and John all of whom were baptised as BARNES!

I notice that Justinian's second marriage in 1838 lists his father as Thomas BARNES with no mention of FRY.

It may be worth following up Honour Barnes.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sebusinessbrokers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi ...

I am trying to figure out why My GGGGGrandfather  suddenly changed his name from Barnes to Fry .

There are baptism and marriage records from the same parish ( Spetisbury Dorset )  for around  the same  time as my Ancestor for people known as  Barnes otherwise Fry and I think that there must be a link but have not been able to prove it yet.

My question is  Why would a person be known as  Barnes otherwise Fry. ???

Thanks

Emma
I may have some answers,and we could be related!I am in possession of a family bible referring to a Harriet Anne Barnes Fry born April 3rd 1857  who married a James Champ in 1873.They gave birth to my Great Grandmother Minnie Champ in 1884.It mentions Spetisbury Dorset ,the bible being the gift of Bishop Hall and Dr. Sloper in 1850.
What was the name of your GGGGGrandfather ?There are references to other members of the Barnes Fry family.He may be one of them.If we are related,have you managed to trace the family back any further?

Offline Scales

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
]
I may have some answers,and we could be related!I am in possession of a family bible referring to a Harriet Anne Barnes Fry born April 3rd 1857  who married a James Champ in 1873.They gave birth to my Great Grandmother Minnie Champ in 1884.It mentions Spetisbury Dorset ,the bible being the gift of Bishop Hall and Dr. Sloper in 1850.
What was the name of your GGGGGrandfather ?There are references to other members of the Barnes Fry family.He may be one of them.If we are related,have you managed to trace the family back any further?
[/quote]

Hi..it looks like we may be related . .my 3x gg father was George Barnes b 1826 and My 4 x great grandfather was Justinian Barnes b 1802 .  Harriet Ann was the sister of my gg grandmother Mary Ann ( daughters of George Barnes /fry and Mary Ann Holtham . ) the whole Barnes /fry saga has taken ages to sort out and I am still not sure why the family changes its name over the years . They are knows as Barnes , fry, Barnes fry, fry Barnes and wood on various census returns .!!!

Offline sebusinessbrokers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 April 14 09:18 BST (UK) »
Yep,we're almost certainly related.According to the family bible,George Barnes Fry was born Mar 20th 1831,on a saturday at 4.30pm in the morning.Mother Mari Anne Holton was born Feb 14th 1833.Harriet Ann Barnes Fry was born April 3rd 1857.There were a total of seven children.
I'll send you a copy of the original and typewritten extracts when I can find them.A little confused by the George Barnes Fry that you have as being born in 1826,though?!Have you been able to trace back any further than Justinian Barnes?

]

Hi..it looks like we may be related . .my 3x gg father was George Barnes b 1826 and My 4 x great grandfather was Justinian Barnes b 1802 .  Harriet Ann was the sister of my gg grandmother Mary Ann ( daughters of George Barnes /fry and Mary Ann Holtham . ) the whole Barnes /fry saga has taken ages to sort out and I am still not sure why the family changes its name over the years . They are knows as Barnes , fry, Barnes fry, fry Barnes and wood on various census returns .!!!
[/quote]

Offline jackiehollow

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 April 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
Henry Barnes, son of Thomas (Fry) Barnes and Ann Best is my 3rd grandfather.  I'd love to talk with others from this line.  I've yet to read the whole thread, and just stumbled across the Fry/Barnes mystery.  Please email me at jackiehollow @ gmail.com

Jackie