Author Topic: Bresland from Frosses?  (Read 9099 times)

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bresland from Frosses?
« on: Tuesday 27 July 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have 2x Great Grandparents called Michael Bresland and Susan Gallagher married in 1878 Frosses, Donegal. I have their parents names from marriage cert but little else going back.
They moved and started a new life in Greenock, Scotland. Does any of this look familiar to anyone? I'm looking to find out more about the ancestors of Donegal.

Regards Kevin
Malley, McCloskey, O'Donnell, Bresland, Dermidy, MacDonald, Lacey, Thornton, Quinn, Barret, Brogan, McCahill, Dempsey, Gallagher

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bresland from Frosses?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 22:19 BST (UK) »
Does marriage cert state townland where they resided at time of marriage?
If they died in Scotland, death cert should have names (if known by informant) of both parents.

Offline CJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 July 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Could surname have been "Breslin". Have noticed that surname "Breslin" is sometimes spelled "Breslan", Breslow and Bresland. My partner is doing research into his family. He was told his father's family, "Breslin" originally came from Frosses area. We have found a Michael Breslin married to a Mary Friel on a marriage certificate from Mountcharles. Frosses is not too far away. His son and grandson were called Michael Breslin. Just wondering are they perhaps connected. At that time names were carried on each generation.

CJF

Offline sbkenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 October 13 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

i was delighted to read the message you posted several years ago. I have some information on your great grandmother Susan Gallagher. Her brother Michael Gallagher was my grandfather. There were 7 children in the family. Their parents were Daniel Gallagher and Susan Griffith. The names Susan and Michael have passed down through the generations. I will wait until I hear from you before adding more details.

Kind regards,

Susan

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 November 13 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Great to hear from you. It has been a while since I looked at my family tree so it would very interesting to get some new information! I have some info about Susan's own family but nothing on her Parents or siblings in Ireland. More than happy to share info with you.

Regards

Kevin
Malley, McCloskey, O'Donnell, Bresland, Dermidy, MacDonald, Lacey, Thornton, Quinn, Barret, Brogan, McCahill, Dempsey, Gallagher

Offline sbkenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 November 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

I was delighted to hear from you as I had no idea how often you checked the site. All the information I have was written down by your great grandmothers brother Michael ( my grandfather).

There were 7 children in her family.
1)Michael DOB 13 April 1868; married Mary Harley. They lived in The Roose, Frosses and had 10 children, my father George was the 2nd youngest. Michael and Mary were married for 64 years.
2)Susan;
3)Edward (Ned) died 17 Feb 1925;
4)Anne married Denis Monaghan and had one daughter Catherine, she died on 31 Aug 1930;
5)Daniel died 29 March 1932 in Bayonne, New Jersey;
6)Catherine (married name Molloy) died 16 Sept 1935 in Bayonne New Jersey, one daughter Kathleen
7)Bell (no information on her).

My grandfather mentioned a Lucy in Susan's family, I see no reference to this in you family list. Lucy was raised in the Roose until she was 15 years old. Her married name was Barber, she had a son Dick Barber. His wife's name was Chris and they had one son Richard. All three visited The Roose a number of times in the late 60's early 70's.

I am very interested in any information you have on Susan's family. I can see from reading through the different messages that you are researching a number of different strands of your family tree.

Kind regards,

Susan

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 November 13 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Thanks for that info. Great to get an actual village they were from, as this could help with further research.
Here is what I have on my Great Great Grandparents Michael and Susan Bresland.
They were both born in Donegal, I think in the 1850's.
They were married 6th September 1878 in Frosses.
According to my research there is 11 children: Mary (b 1880), Susan (b 1881), Catherine (b 1882), James (b 1884), Lucy (b 1885), Michael (b 1887), Daniel (b 1888), Agnes (b 1889), Susan (1890), John Joseph (b 1892, my Great Grandad) and Patrick (b 1897).
Sadly both Susan's died in infancy and Catherine died aged 22.
I do have more details and some photos just need to look them out , will get them to you asap.

Kind Regards

Kevin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 November 13 19:45 GMT (UK) »
We aren't allowed to post email addresses here so you'll need to go back to your previous post and remove your address. Once Susan has 3 posts she can send and receive PMs (personal messages) so that you can exchange details which can't be posted.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 November 13 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,
Been checking the info I have on the Breslands. Your Grandfathers info ties up about Lucy being raised in Ireland because she doesn't appear on the Scottish 1891 census I have, alongside her brothers and sisters. Do you know why she was sent to Ireland? I also was intrigued when you said the name Richard Barber/Barbour as I was sure I had heard that name mentioned by my mum, in fact my mum isn't sure but she reckons this is him and his son in the photo I have attached.

Regards
Kevin