Author Topic: Family Finder DNA Test  (Read 858 times)

Offline busybod

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Finder DNA Test
« on: Thursday 11 September 14 18:58 BST (UK) »
I should like to ask if anyone has done the family finder (autosomal) dna test with Family Finder.  In May 2013 I did the mitochondrial test and got the results back.  On 28th August this year I decided I wanted to know what my overall ethnicity was and was advised by them to do the Family Finder test.  I duly paid for this.  I expected to wait 4 weeks for the kit.  Imagine my surprise when today I receive an email to say that my test is complete and gives me a list of matches.  Now at the risk of sounding stupid, I should like to ask how have they done this when I have had no test kit.  Have they extracted data from my mitochondrial test.  All ideas greatly appreciated.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Finder DNA Test
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
The sample you gave for your mtDNA has been used. They only needed a small bit of the sample you gave for the mtDNA test and they then froze the rest in case you wanted to take further tests.

I have done three separate tests and an upgrade with them but only ever gave the one sample (it is all explained in the T&C's somewhere)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline busybod

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
OK, I understand that, but what I dont understand is how does this tell me what I wanted to know.  When I spoke to them I explained that I wanted to know what percentage my overall ethnicity was (I am mixed race) and was assured that this was the test I needed as it took dna from both the mother and father.  Then all I get is a list of matches, doesnt tell me what I wanted to know.  I'm confused, how do I match these people to me.  Can you explain in laymans terms perhaps.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
If you go into the Family Finder menu and choose myOrigins you will see your ethnicity.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline busybod

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 20:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think I rather jumped the gun a bit Craclyn.  I've done that - thanks.

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 September 14 02:00 BST (UK) »
It's also worth uploading your Family Finder raw data files to GedMatch:

www.gedmatch.com/

This will give you the opportunity to generate alternative admixture readings.

See the blog posts listed here:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Admixture_analyses
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline busybod

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 September 14 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Devon, I'll have a look at that.