Author Topic: Family legend - POW WW2  (Read 2266 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family legend - POW WW2
« on: Monday 21 July 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me, I am trying to locate the RAF records for a Glynn Roberts (or Austin) 1921-1997.  I have been told from very young that my uncle was traumatised by his time as a prisoner of war at Bushido, Singapore (although I cannot find a POW camp called Bushido only a reference to Japanese samurai).  However there is a family argument that he was a prisoner of war in Italy.  That depending on the day and the time he would 'milk' everyone for sympathy, and change the story to suit the mood.  I know he was a alcoholic, which could have been caused by his time as a prisoner of war.  He burnt down the family home when he was some what inebriated, and on another of his well known escapades sold his father's war medals for a fiver in the local pub.
I am told that Bushido was one of Japan's evilest prisoner of war camp, as the prisoners were starved and beaten.  I would like to know the truth, and the only way I can prove which story is true is to obtain a copy of his RAF records, but I don't know where to start.   Can anyone help? regards Trish

Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family legend - POW WW2
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 July 14 20:37 BST (UK) »
There was  a camp  in Italy called Busseto (camp 55) near Piacenza, I wonder if  he could have been there, there is a reference on google to a soldier encountering starving men at camp 55.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 July 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
His Records will still be with the MOD, you will find all the relevant information on the Veterans Agency website..

http://www.veterans-uk.info/
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 July 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Ok, I see in your other post the prison camp was Chaingi Singapore, just thought Busetto sounded like Bushido.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk