Author Topic: East Bowden(?), Musselburgh  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: East Bowden(?), Musselburgh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 December 14 10:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a Village called Bowden in Roxburghshire the borders.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 December 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
There are also Bowdens in West Lothian, Gloucestershire and Leicestershire among others. This is known as the Department of Red Herrings  :D
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 December 14 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Roxburgh parish & village of Bowden.

Skoosh.

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 December 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian,
Thanks for that - a nice piece of lateral thinking but the census clearly says East Bowden.  Would a private property be described geographically?

Skoosh,
I'm pretty sure they weren't in Roxburghshire.  Can you tell me please if the St Cuthbert MIs are available on line?

Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 December 14 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Jack,  I have this somewhere and shall get back to you, I think there's an index nominem at the end.
Running late for a Xmas bevvy session.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 December 14 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Would a private property be described geographically?

In the census at that time, the enumerator was supposed to record the parish of birth, if in the same country, and the country of birth (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Isle of Man etc) if not in the same country. So theoretically that census shouldn't have said anything more than just 'Scotland'. 'East Bowden, Muchelborough', even if enigmatic, is more that you ought to have got if the enumerator had stuck to the rules.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 December 14 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Jack,  try working your way through this,

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/records/scottishrecordso35scotuoft.pdf

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 December 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Here's where I am at the moment, having had a night to sleep on it. Thanks for all your suggestions which have got me thinking more carefully about this.  I think I am guilty of making the mistake of taking census information as verbatim.

James Renwick's first wife Ann was born 1795 in East Boldon, Northumberland.  She died 1842 in Long Framlington and was buried in North Sunderland.  James then married Mary (I still have not found their marriage) and what is not in dispute, on the evidence of future census returns, is that she was from Scotland, possibly Musselburgh.  They had 5 children born from 1844 to 1850, variously around Bamburgh, Lucker and Shilbottle, Northumberland.

Then the 1851 census is taken.  James may have become confused when the enumerator asked for his wife's place of birth and gave that of his first wife.  Then, having added Musselburgh, the enumerator wrote down what he heard - Muchelborough.

Does all this make sense? I would welcome your comments.

What is left is for me to find out where and when James Renwick married Mary.  She was born around 1802 but I have been unable to identify her birth anywhere.  If she was a widow when she married James I reckon I'm probably up against the proverbial brick wall.

Regards,  Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 December 14 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Jack,
Do none of the entries for the birth of James and Mary's children indicate her maiden surname? Presumably the births were recorded in various parish registers?

If Mary was from Scotland, it is possible the marriage took place there, i.e. where her parents lived .

The death certificate for one of their children might disclose some useful information, as might a marriage certificate.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk