Author Topic: John Runciman from Scotland 1910  (Read 9344 times)

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Runciman from Scotland 1910
« on: Monday 15 January 07 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking descendants in US of John Runciman from Berwickshire, Scotland, who arrived in US in 1910, aged 24. I believe he was employed at Ford Motor Co., Detroit, and that he married an American lady (see pic.). He probably died in 1960 in Wayne.
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Runciman from Scotland 1910
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 January 07 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  It doesn't look like they had any descendants.---Genealiza

1920    Michigan   Wayne    Detroit   Ward 14
Roll T625-813   Pg 19B   ED 443

Runciman, John, head, owns home, mortgaged, male, white, 33, marr, immig 1910, NA(turalized), 1919, can read, write, b. Scot, Scot, Scot, spks Eng, foreman, steering gears

Barbara, wife, female, white, 39, marr, immig 1911, NA, 1919, can read, write, b. Scot, Scot, Scot, spks Eng

1930   Michigan   Wayne   Detroit
Roll 1059    Pg 26A   ED 656

Runciman, John, head, owns home, $7800, has a radio, male, white, 44, marr, 25 yrs of age at 1st marriage, can read, write, b. Scot, Scot, Scot, immig 1910, NA, spks Eng, foreman, gear factory, worker, worked yesterday, not a veteran

Barbara, wife, female, white, 50, marr, 31 yrs of age at 1st marriage, can read, write, b. Scot, Scot, Scot, immig 1911, NA, spks Eng

WWI   Draft Registration Card

John Runciman, Detroit, Michigan
b. Apr 16, 1886
b. Great Britain, Scotland
he is an alien
occup: machinist, Packard Motor co., Detroit, Michigan
nearest relative:  Barbara Runciman (wife)  Detroit, Michigan
medium heigh and build (the rest of the description is not photographed)

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 January 07 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks for searching and providing that information. J R was an uncle of my mother who she never met - tho he generously paid for his parents' headstone back in Scotland.
I get the impression that the maiden name of wives are not generally given in US censuses. Am I correct? Any idea how people overcome this problem?

With appreciation,
Jim
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 January 07 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, they aren't given.  Occassionally, a brother or parent of the wife is living with the couple and you can learn the name that way.

Since they immigrated in different years, they might have married in Detroit and that might be where to start.  Have you looked in Scotland for a marriage there?

Social Security applications also give a little bit of information, but odds are that she didn't work, since she didn't in 1920 or 30.  By the time SS#s become mandatory for everyone, she is probably deceased.

Death certificates will give the names of the parents, if the person providing the information is aware of that information.  You might search for her death in Detroit.

Sorry not to be of more help.---Genealiza

Offline LornaHen

• RootsChat Extra
  • A step backwards is great progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
I am seeking descendants in US of John Runciman from Berwickshire, Scotland, who arrived in US in 1910, aged 24. I believe he was employed at Ford Motor Co., Detroit, and that he married an American lady (see pic.). He probably died in 1960 in Wayne.
Hi Jim,
Your John's marriage to Barbara is available under the LDS Family Search Research Pilot.
cert. shows John as 25, machinist, s/o George RUNCIMAN & Mary DOUGHTY; Barbara as 30 d/o John WATT; both resid. Detroit, and born Scotland; Wit: CHISHOLM & Wm ??
From Michigan Marriages 1868-1925, film 2342695, Digital GS # 4209155, image 317 ref v 5 p 460 rn 79466
Can't help with descendants sorry.

You may be interested in this link:
http://dnasurnames.info/lineages/p1191.htm
I believe that your John, and presumably therefore your mother, work back to George married to Janet DARLING.

Regards
Lorna
http://runcimandna.blogspot.com
SCT: Henderson, Wight, Sinton, Fairbairn, Bain, Manson, Davidson, Runciman, Familton
ENG: Rowe, King, Barter, Andrews, Turnbull, Baty, Graham
NZ: Henderson, Andrews, Rowe, Turnbull
http://LornaHen.com
http://dnasurnames.info/

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 April 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
New York Passenger List. Liverpool to New York.

9 th Aug 1911. Barbara Watt. Age 30. Single. Domestic. Father Jno Watt. Arbeck ? Lodge. Aberdeen. Going to Detroit. Had never been in the USA before. Going to a friend Mrs Agnes Arnot (& intended John Runciman) Agnes lived at 108 Hooker Avenue. Detroit.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 April 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Border Crossing Canada to USA. 15 th Aug 1924

John and Barbara Runciman. John Naturalised:- Circuit Court. Wayne County. June 28th 1919 (Ditto for Barbara) Address:- 9299 Refactey ? Avenue. Detroit. Michigan. Ship Name:- Montroyal.

Not sure if this may be another possibility. John and Barbara Runciman UK Incoming Passenger List:- 13 July 1924. New York to Glasgow. Ports of Voyage: Moville. Ship Name: Cameronia. Address of passengers:- Eccles. Kelso.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 April 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
Please note that the original post is dated January, 2007 and the poster has not returned to Roots Chat since then.  I hope he gets the information that was found, but he may have already found it in the last 3 years. 

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 May 10 10:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Moderator and others. I have seen the postings - of great interest.