Author Topic: Thomas and Harriett Rogers Old Brentford Middlesex England  (Read 2180 times)

Offline pjreill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas and Harriett Rogers Old Brentford Middlesex England
« on: Saturday 05 July 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Harriett (nee Smith) are my Great x 3 Grandparents and they ran the Fox and Hounds pub 384 High Street, Old Brentford from 1868 to 1882 until Thomas died on 4 September 1882.

I know Harriett outlived Thomas but I can't find out when she died.  I can't find her in the 1891 census so I think she must have died before 1891.

They appear in the 1881 census with Rogers misspelt Rodgers.  That census also listed their grandsons staying with them Henry Rogers 15, Thomas 12 and John 11. 

I think Thomas and John are both the children of John Rogers born 13 May 1849 in Brentford (and husband of Catherine) but I don't know where Henry fits in because John is the oldest boy and there were 6 older sisters and I am not sure if John is old enough to be Henry's father. 

I'm also not sure of when and where John married Catherine.  My great great grandfather is James's younger brother William born 6 August 1851 in Brentford.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Regards,

Pete
Reilly, Rogers, Anderson, Greasley, Johnson, Jackson, McDougall, Sendall, Lapp, Follett, Orr, Lovelock, McCoombe, Stratton, Sendall, Treliving

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Harriett Rogers Old Brentford Middlesex England
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 July 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
Have not found a death for Harriett but I see that freebmd has two marriages in 1890 for Harriett Rogers, one in Poplar and one in Islington. Have you tried following either of those through to the 1891 census to see if they could be your Harriett?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline pjreill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 July 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Harriett would have been about 74 in 1890  so I'm not sure if she would have remarried at that age but I must admit I hadn't thought of that angle so I'll check that out for sure.

Regards,

Pete
Reilly, Rogers, Anderson, Greasley, Johnson, Jackson, McDougall, Sendall, Lapp, Follett, Orr, Lovelock, McCoombe, Stratton, Sendall, Treliving

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 July 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
She may have remarried if she needed someone to support her financially.

Have you seen the marriage on freebmd for John Rogers in Brentford Q1 1868? Vol 3a page 90. Possible wife Catherine McGinnis.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline pjreill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Craclyn, I think that marriage is the right one for John and Catherine. It fits with the birth of young Thomas 9 to 12 months later.  Regards, Pete

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 July 14 11:10 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
Freebmd has a marriage in Brentford Mar 1868 3a 90
John Rogers and Catherine Mc Ginnis
This would be my choice for the son.
It looks like Henry rogers born 1866 must be the illegitimate son of one of the daughters,but you can rule out Ann and Elizabeth as they are married by 1866.
Sorry slow posting
Ciderdrinker

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 July 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
Could this be Harriet
Death June qtr 1890   
Rogers    Harriet   
age 73   
Fulham    1a   163

Probate
Will - Late of 68 Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith-died 11 June 1890 at that address.
Proved by Elizabeth Goddard daughter, wife of William George Goddard of 70 Fulham Palace Road and James Rogers of The American Hotel, Portsmouth Licensed Victualler -the son
£274. 11s.0d
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pjreill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 July 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
I believe that Thomas and Harriet did have a son named James born in about 1856.  I don't have a lot of information on him.  And I am not sure where the Goddard comes in.  I have elizabeth born about 1841 in Broad Hinton, Wiltshire marrying James Read in Ealing in 1861, but I could be wrong there because I don't have a lot of information about them.  Regards, Pete

Offline pjreill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 July 14 11:40 BST (UK) »
Ok, I checked out James in the 1891 census and he is the right age and born in brentford.  I also have his wife as Sarah so that checks out too.  Thankyou Rosie, I think I now have the right Harriett. 

So Elizabeth must have married a Goddard somewhere.  I will have to check that out next.

Regards,

Pete