Author Topic: Northamptonshire Police Archives  (Read 11148 times)

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
Northamptonshire Police Archives
« on: Tuesday 22 October 13 00:13 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if historical records of police officers are accessable anywhere?  I am trying to find information about a Charles Davey, born Tasburgh, Norfolk, 1883. In the 1911 census he was boarding with an Andrews family in Deanshanger and described as a Police Constable in the Northants Constabulary.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Northamptonshire Police Archives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert.

You could always ask the achivist at Wootton Hall Police Headquarters,
Mr Tom Paintain if he has knowledge of Charles.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Thanks.  The contact details given in Bridgeman & Emsley's "A Guide to the Archives of the Police Forces of England and Wales" are "Police Headquarters Wootton Hall Northampton NN4 OJQ. Tele (0604) 700700. Curator: Mr Tom Paintain Ext 206" but these date from 2006. Do you have any idea if they are still correct. I have tried e-mailing the headquarters and will wait to see if that produces results.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 10:56 BST (UK) »
Goodness Robert trying to find out the information for you was like
burying into the archives themselves.

Anyway I will P.M. it as it is not available anywhere on the net.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Thanks.  The contact details given in Bridgeman & Emsley's "A Guide to the Archives of the Police Forces of England and Wales" are "Police Headquarters Wootton Hall Northampton NN4 OJQ. Tele (0604) 700700. Curator: Mr Tom Paintain Ext 206" but these date from 2006. Do you have any idea if they are still correct. I have tried e-mailing the headquarters and will wait to see if that produces results.

Robert

The phone number for Northampton for future reference is now 01604  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 14:39 BST (UK) »
I just put a reply and it must have gone into cyber space.  ;D

Anyway all the information on the internet is TOTALLY out of date.

The contact is now by e-mail and I was asked not to display it
hence P.M. to Robert.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the help and information. I was able to contact the Northants police via the  Northants Police Mail Room which is their standard contact point for non-urgent messages. NorthantsPoliceMailRoom@northants.pnn.police.uk  The archivist is now a volunteer who works one day a week, but they will pass on messages to him.

Robert

Offline Marja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 06:03 GMT (UK) »
robbo 43
 I was wondering how you got on with your query. I wrote a letter in 2003 to the Curator at the Museum who was very helpfull.
   I enclosed 2 reply Coupons and addressed envelope. I have my g/grandfathers record. There
was no charge for it even though I asked. About the same time I wrote to Devon Police regarding
my other g/grandfather. They also were very good and asked me if I wanted another persons record with the same Surname which turned out to be his cousin. This was a payable site and worth it for their time and effort.     Regards Marja

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marj,

Yes, the archivist was very helpful and sent me copies of all the records they had. It appears that Charles was retired on pension in 1923 ,when he was 40, as he was one of the victims of the "sleepy sickness" epidemic. I haven't been able to fnd out what happened to him after that, nor when he died.

Regards
Robert