Author Topic: Greenhills in Essex  (Read 944 times)

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Greenhills in Essex
« on: Monday 22 December 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
My father told me they used to visit the 'Greenhill cousins' in Essex (oh why oh why didn't I ask him their names when I could ::)) I have a photo of a little boy with grandparent aged people labelled 'K*****'s birthday Jun 1943 and as there are 4 candles on the cake he was born in 1939.

On freebmd there is a K***** Greenhill registered Dec 1939 in Romford, parents Greenhill and Leverett. There are 7 more children registered to the same parents, first born in 1931, but I cannot find a marriage. I have tried to find a link with the known Greenhill family, with no success.
I do not want to give any more details of this family as some may well be living. I have looked on google, ancestry and various places but can find no marriage or clues to their Christian names. I know I could send for the b cert but as they are pretty distant I do not want to at the moment.

My thoughts about the photo was maybe little K had been evacuated to his gparents, and that would explain why there are no parents or siblings present.

Please has anyone got any suggestions about this marriage - I am going round in circles :D

Helen
Dowdell, Pressley, Snook, Read, Hurle, Small, Cannings .....  Wiltshire
Fitzgerald, Greenhill .... London
Thursfield, Newey, Berrisford, Wood, Hulme ..... Warwickshire/Staffordshire
Ditchfield, Unsworth, Clarke, Perrin, Orrett .... Cheshire/Lancs
Jones ..... N Wales

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhills in Essex
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 December 14 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Can you not approach it from the other angle - ie find names of your fathers (and maybe mothers) cousins?

Starting with your father - his cousins will be children of his parents siblings. So, what siblings did they have? Was his surname Greenhill? If not, did he have a sister who married a Greenhill?

I dont quite follow the bit about no siblings. You have a photo of K and his grandma on his birthday. Not sure you can take that to mean either he didnt have siblings or was living away from them or was living with grandparents.
Could just be a nice photo of K with granny on his birthday!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 December 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz
thanks for giving this some thought. Although referred to as cousins, they were quite distant. My Dad's maternal gm was a Greenhill. She had 2 brothers and I have discounted 2 out of the 3 of their male offspring. Alec Walter is a possibility.......

The photo is an informal garden scene containing the tea laid out on the grass, 2 older couples on chairs, one lady sitting on the grass with K, (age unclear, possibly mum with dad being the photographer) . Other children could be playing elsewhere in the garden.

I have most of the family well recorded pretty far back, and to some extent sideways, but the years after 1911 are proving tricky! ::)
Jones ..... N Wales

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Marriage
Jan/Feb/Mar 1926
Wandsworth
Ref 1d 670
Alec W Greenhill/ Florence M I Veasey

Just one birth for a Greenhill with mums maiden name Veazey
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 10:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a Greenhill marriage to a LEVETT in the Dec 1/4 1927 Dudley.
I know the name isn't quite right, and the area is out, but it's a possibility.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Liz and Pinefamily for looking for me. Not quite sure why I could not find those 2 ::).
I think the Greenhill/Veasey one is right. I did not say anything before, but the Mrs GH I found with Alec on the electoral reg was Florence Mary Isabella :). Whether they are the parents of Keith I am off to find out! Thank you both !
Jones ..... N Wales

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Well eventually Freebmd started working, and no suitable children :(. I suspect this boy was not a Greenhill after all. I found miss Veasy (Veazy) pretty easily - helpful family giving their children 3 Christian names each. Any way thanks Liz, for sorting out Alec's wife for me :)

Happy Christmas!
Jones ..... N Wales