Author Topic: Jessie McAllister  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie McAllister
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 02:39 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid things aren't as clear-cut as you think.

Working back from the facts re. her parents on her 1881 marriage certificate.   Her mother Margaret (Maggie) Finlay married James Buchanan 12/2/1864 Partick, Glasgow - both are shown as single!

I should add here that it was quite commonplace in Scotland for children born illegitimately and registered under their mothers surname to grow up with the surname of their father even though the parents never married.   As you will also find particularly in Scottish records, female names have many variants as with Janet (Jessie, Jane, Jean etc.).   (Just to complicate things further).

Angus McAllister and Margaret Finlay/Findlay never married and, as shown on the marriage to James Buchanan, she was single.   Also, 'Jessie' certainly wasn't born 27/7/1858!

The 1871 census states she was 15, 1861 was 5, so a birthdate ca.1855/1856.  Also, she stated she was 24 when she married (actually 25) in 1881 and none of these agree with the birthdate in 1858.

She was actually born as Janet Finlay on 29/12/1855 High Church, Glasgow, dau. of Margaret Finlay.

1861 Census - Lindsays Land, Maryhill, Glasgow.

Margaret Finlay   26      Cotton Yarn Winder       b. Slamannan, Stirlingshire
Janet McAllister   5                                           b. Glasgow
James McAllister  2                                           b. Glasgow
James Buchanan  25     Lab. Agl.                       b. Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire

As you can see from 1861 census Margaret was already living with James Buchanan - dau. Janet is now McAllister as is a James - however, James would actually appear to be the son of James Buchanan as the next census shows - Janet McAllister is shown as stepdaughter!

1871 Census - 20 Ann St., Glasgow Barony, Lanarkshire

James Buchanan   35    Carter & Milk Dealer           b. Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire
Margaret Buchanan  36                                         b. Slamannan, Stirlingshire
James Buchanan  son 12                                       b. Glasgow
William Buchanan  7                                             b. Glasgow
Robert Buchanan 7                                               b. Glasgow
Allen Buchanan   5                                                b. Glasgow
Margaret Buchanan  3                                           b. Glasgow
John Buchanan  1                                                 b. Glasgow
Janet McAllister  stepdaughter  15                          b. Glasgow

(I only have access to transcriptions of the Scottish census).

Jessie McAllister was, therefore, actually born as Janet Finlay on 29/12/1855 (not 27/7/1858) and in 1861 and 1871 appears as Janet McAllister.  By 1881 Janet has become Jessie and marries as such that same year.

So, have no idea where the birthdate you have for her comes from.   There was certainly no birth that matches this date and I hope I have proved to you from her marriage details, relevant census and birth entry that she was actually born 29/12/1855, and that although brought up with the McAllister name her parents were never married.  (There was an Angus McAllister bc.1826 living in Glasgow in 1861 who was a Ships Carpenter so possibly a candidate for Jessie's father).

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy Jackson AZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
Jessie McAllister and Archibald McIntyre married 3/6/1881 Kelvin, Glasgow - according to this her parents were Angus McAllister, Steamship Fireman (deceased) and Maggie Buchanan, formerly McAllister, maiden name Findlay - she is shown as aged 24 suggesting birth date 1856/7.

Clearly her mother Maggie remarried a Mr. Buchanan after the death of her first husband Angus.

Annette
Thank you as I now know what I thought before about the marriage after Angus died at sea. For some reason I could not find the clue to confirm, which you put up for me.  I owe you one. Thanks again.  Andy

Offline Andy Jackson AZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 23:58 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid things aren't as clear-cut as you think.

Working back from the facts re. her parents on her 1881 marriage certificate.   Her mother Margaret (Maggie) Finlay married James Buchanan 12/2/1864 Partick, Glasgow - both are shown as single!

I should add here that it was quite commonplace in Scotland for children born illegitimately and registered under their mothers surname to grow up with the surname of their father even though the parents never married.   As you will also find particularly in Scottish records, female names have many variants as with Janet (Jessie, Jane, Jean etc.).   (Just to complicate things further).

Angus McAllister and Margaret Finlay/Findlay never married and, as shown on the marriage to James Buchanan, she was single.   Also, 'Jessie' certainly wasn't born 27/7/1858!

The 1871 census states she was 15, 1861 was 5, so a birthdate ca.1855/1856.  Also, she stated she was 24 when she married (actually 25) in 1881 and none of these agree with the birthdate in 1858.

She was actually born as Janet Finlay on 29/12/1855 High Church, Glasgow, dau. of Margaret Finlay.

1861 Census - Lindsays Land, Maryhill, Glasgow.

Margaret Finlay   26      Cotton Yarn Winder       b. Slamannan, Stirlingshire
Janet McAllister   5                                           b. Glasgow
James McAllister  2                                           b. Glasgow
James Buchanan  25     Lab. Agl.                       b. Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire

As you can see from 1861 census Margaret was already living with James Buchanan - dau. Janet is now McAllister as is a James - however, James would actually appear to be the son of James Buchanan as the next census shows - Janet McAllister is shown as stepdaughter!

1871 Census - 20 Ann St., Glasgow Barony, Lanarkshire

James Buchanan   35    Carter & Milk Dealer           b. Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire
Margaret Buchanan  36                                         b. Slamannan, Stirlingshire
James Buchanan  son 12                                       b. Glasgow
William Buchanan  7                                             b. Glasgow
Robert Buchanan 7                                               b. Glasgow
Allen Buchanan   5                                                b. Glasgow
Margaret Buchanan  3                                           b. Glasgow
John Buchanan  1                                                 b. Glasgow
Janet McAllister  stepdaughter  15                          b. Glasgow

(I only have access to transcriptions of the Scottish census).

Jessie McAllister was, therefore, actually born as Janet Finlay on 29/12/1855 (not 27/7/1858) and in 1861 and 1871 appears as Janet McAllister.  By 1881 Janet has become Jessie and marries as such that same year.

So, have no idea where the birthdate you have for her comes from.   There was certainly no birth that matches this date and I hope I have proved to you from her marriage details, relevant census and birth entry that she was actually born 29/12/1855, and that although brought up with the McAllister name her parents were never married.  (There was an Angus McAllister bc.1826 living in Glasgow in 1861 who was a Ships Carpenter so possibly a candidate for Jessie's father).

Annette
Can not thank you enough for all this information.  At 82 I didn't think I would ever figure it out and then a life savior cam along.  All of you family thanks you for setting things straight.  All the work that I did looking a film's and cards just put me farther away.  Thanks and may you and yours have a save and happy year.  Andy