Author Topic: McCarthy family  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: McCarthy family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 July 14 04:15 BST (UK) »
WOW Debra, I am absolutely reeling with this information :o :o What a wonderful researcher
you are :) Thank you very very much.

Do you agree that this John McCarthy must be my 3xG/Grandfather? There surely couldn't be two
John McCarthy painter that came in 1838 on the Calcutta and he was indeed born in Youghal.
What do you think? I know that one should never assume , but this seems too much of a coincidence?

Please let me know your opinion ;)

I can't thank you enough for going to all this trouble for me :) 8)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TinnyLinny

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Joyful, have read all your posts and maybe I can add my thoughts  I have a death certificate for John McCarthy , Died 24th July 1866 in Liverpool Asylum  Occupation Painter  Age 81  Buried same day in Liverpool  Church of Rome   Arrived per ship Calcutta 1828.  Nothing else of interest. I too have found lots of entries for John McCarthy in Darlinghurst Gaol. I feel that this is the correct certificate even if the date of arrival is not correct [there have been inaccuracies in the Darlinghurst information as well] His correct age or birth date we may never know only guess at. Have had no luck as yet tracing his wife or daughters.

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi TinnyLinny
Thanks for your interest, how do you fit in with my family? There is a possible birth of a John
McCarthy to Edward McCarthy and Susan (maiden surname unknown but it could be
Seaward/Seeward.) This John McCarthy was born in Tallow County Wexford about 12 miles from
Youghal in County Cork.

I never bothered getting a death certificate as the information on the death certificate is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving the information and in this case the correct information died with John.

I am happy to accept (and believe) that his age on immigration was incorrect,
 and in fact that John was older. There were however a few different John McCarthy's and it's easy to get them mixed I have found. Continued on next post
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 07:07 GMT (UK) »
 cont...
As far as John's wife Eliza and their two daughters are concerned, no one seems to be able to find
any trace of them...eventually though they will be found. Edward of course is easy to trace.
I note that a tree on Ancestry has Eliza (wife) dying in Maclean NSW but these trees should not
be accepted without confirmation/verification from official sources.

Great to hear from you and look forward to finding out your relationship to John McCarthy.

Joy