Author Topic: Sainsbury - Krugersdorf, South Africa  (Read 6708 times)

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sainsbury - Krugersdorf, South Africa
« on: Saturday 11 June 11 09:26 BST (UK) »
I am trying find the descendants of Eva Sainsbury - wife of Leonard, and their children Dorothy Clegg, Edith Grant and Robert George Sainsbury. Eva died in 1976 in Krugersdorf, South Africa. Their children lived in Johannesburg, Pretoria and Kalk Bay, Cape.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Carolyn/Queenie :)
Atkinson. Empson. Overton. Lynch. Revell. Wood. Peagram. Stanford-Davis.Savins.

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sainsbury - Krugersdorf, South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
No this isn't a reply but just an addition to what I have requested.
My greatgrandfathers' younger sister Eva Sainsbury [nee Lynch] and her husband Leonard lived in South Africa from 1911 - to their deaths in 1960-1970's. They did return to England for a period of time - abt 1924- but I am not sure of when they returned to South Africa. Leonard was a minister of religion I think.They had four children but I can only find three listed at the time of Eva's death. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I live in New Zealand so the main difficulty to finding out information is distance and not having a 'genealogical friend' in South Africa to help me.
Many thanks  :)

Offline Bokkies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is John eldest child of Elaine Klopper (nee Sainsbury) who is the eldest daughter of Robert Sainsbury (son of Leonard). My Mom put me onto your post as she was not sure how to respond and work with forums. What is the best way of sharing information without being too public?

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 13:19 BST (UK) »
John you have to post 3 messages on the forum, then you can contact other members using the personal messages. Regards Derek.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi John
I am excited to make contact with the South African branch of the Lynch family!
I have quite extensive family history notes in regard a lot of the descendants of Eva Sainsbury [nee Lynch's] parents - and of my direct line - the Lynch New Zealand branch.
Carolyn/Queenie

Offline Bokkies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 12 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for making contact Carolyn. Unfortunately I don't have to much information but that is why I will get my Mom to contact you. She will probably even get in touch with her dad(yes Bob is still alive -98 years old) who I'm sure would be thrilled to hear about you.

Rgds John

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 October 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
John-
I believe that I do know about your grandfather via a distant Sainsbury relative in Canada -Brian Baggott.
Is your grandfather in a retirement home and does his son live in the same retirement home?
Forgive me - my memory is a bit dodgy since I had a bit of ill health early this year.
If this is the case then I have had an email from him and he did say he had relatives in New Zealand. I think from memory I asked that my details be passed on in case some of the family wanted to communicate with me. I hadn't heard from him again so I didn't wish to 'push in' and be cheeky. :-[
It has been several years since I started this thread and I have been doing a lot of other family research so I had almost forgotten this search.
In genealogy it isn't considered appropriate to seek 'living' family - only those no longer on this planet - isn't that strange- something to do with privacy issues.
Carolyn/Queenie

Offline Bokkies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 October 12 10:38 BST (UK) »
You are partly correct Carolyn my Grandfather is living in a Retirement home but on his own. His son Leonard was living with him for a while just to help him settle in from moving from his previous home. He may have communicated with you before but I would guess with his age he may have also forgotten all about it. Hopefully my Mom will be able to put you in touch with him again and perhaps you will be able to fill in all the gaps.
John

Offline francie1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Queenie - I am researching the New Zealand descendants of Eva Sainsbury nee Lynch for a South African friend.  She is the grand daughter of Eva and is now living in New Zealand.  She had been told that Eva had a brother who may have stayed in New Zealand when the family returned to England.  I have been able to ascertain that George Henry stayed behind, married and had children.  I understand by reading all your posts that his son, Herbert, is your grandfather.  As you would know, finding descendants, especially living people, is incredibly difficult but I know my friend will be delighted to see how much information I have managed to glean.  I note we can't exchange personal details but do send me a post so I will know you have seen this.
Best regards
Francie