Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 1347 times)

Offline brads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice needed please
« on: Sunday 26 March 06 18:29 BST (UK) »
I have a birth certificate for a Percy Simpkin, no father is listed. Mother is Clara Simpkin (no former name listed). I know mother was originally Clara Benson who married John Simpkin in 1892. On the 1901 census Clara is listed as a widow. I cannot find a death registered  for John Simpkin between 1892 &1901. What I would like to know is why would no father be listed (unless he was illegitimate) also why was her maiden name not noted? Does anybody know why this might be? Would she have had to declare her maiden name?

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 18:45 BST (UK) »
As the child went into local authority care - or in those days the poor law system, was it actually Clara who registered the birth? Where was Percy born? It may be there was an assumption that she was single or she perhaps prefered it that way.
If no father was listed then it looks very likely that John Simpkin was not the father, though the child would still be registered in the mother's legitimate surname.
If you track Percy through Knaresborough poor law records you might find out a little more.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 06 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valda for your reply. I know Percy was living with another family on the 1901 census as a nurse child. So this does look as if he was illegitamate or maybe his mother just could not look after him.