Author Topic: Calling all amateur detectives... 90 year old mystery. William TAYLOR  (Read 2742 times)

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Calling all amateur detectives... 90 year old mystery. William TAYLOR
« on: Tuesday 11 April 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My Great Uncle, William TAYLOR was born 1888-89 in Ollerton, Knutsford, Cheshire, the son of John and Emily TAYLOR.

During WWI he was enrolled with the Leicestershire Regiment (I have a picture of him in his uniform attached).

Sometime during or shortly after the war my mother told me that he became involved with a married woman in the Altrincham area who fell pregnant.  Owing to the scandal that ensued William disappeared never to be seen again.

According to my mother, Emily made regular visits to Altrincham to see the woman and child until she eventually died but she was distraught that she never heard from her son again... no letters or anything.

I somehow feel compelled to find out what happened to him on her behalf and I am looking for help or advise as to how I should proceed.

Thank you.

Nick
Taylor of Bramhall CHS (At rest 1577)
Parrott (Middlewich & Sandbach CHS (At rest 1675)
Hollin(gs)worth, Hale Barns, Bowdon, Dunham Massey, CHS. & Pensax, Worcs (At rest 1658)
Roylance of Handforth & Cheadle CHS (stuck at 1775).
Bailey/Bayley of Mobberley, CHS (stuck at 1809)
Miller of Mickleham & Charlwood, SRY (At rest 1684).

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all amateur detectives... 90 year old mystery. William TAYLOR
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 15:46 BST (UK) »
Could you maybe send for his army papers? They should give next of kin, addresses, date of discharge, etc, it may give some clues..... (when I sent for my husbands grandads papers, we found a first wife that no one had known anything about!)

His exact date of birth should be there as well so you could search the death indexes for any matching William Taylors, although with such a popular name there might be quite a few!

Good Luck
Catherine  :)
(I wonder if an ad in the local paper might ring bells with anyone, although if he didnt stay in the area, maybe no one locally would recognise him)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 15:50 BST (UK) »

Hi Nick !

There's 4 William Taylors in the medal cards - they can be downloaded for 3 pounds 50 - if you download one - you'll probably get them all ... theres 6 to a page !

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cd/

then check for the service records ! - do you know for sure if he came home ??

Annie  :)

PS Snap Catherine !!  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Medal Cards - there are 4 on the first page!  Actually several dozen in total and too prohibitive to buy at 3.50 each.  There are also 660 listed on the War Graves site.  This is not going to be my first line of inquiry...

Thanks for your suggestions though and keep them coming.

Nick
Hollin(gs)worth, Hale Barns, Bowdon, Dunham Massey, CHS. & Pensax, Worcs (At rest 1658)

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

You mentioned Altringham - did you mean he went to live there?  If so, you might track him down through the local Kelly's directories.  (With a name like William Taylor, it's tricky I know.)

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 18:34 BST (UK) »
Medal Cards - there are 4 on the first page!  Actually several dozen in total and too prohibitive to buy at 3.50 each. 

Nick the whole lot were not in The Leicestershire's  ::) only the 4 Annie mentioned, and as she said it's £3.50 for a page of 6 records !!!!  ;D !!!!

If you narrowed him down via the Medal Rolls then you could check the same 4 out on CWGC

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 21:35 BST (UK) »
Wendi,
Sorry, But you are wrong about this.  I just counted 16 William Taylor's from the Leicestershire Regiment on the first 4 pages of the link provided by Annie.
I also have no evidence that he remained with the Leicesters throughout the war.

Dave,
William simply disappeared and was never heard of again.  There was no suggestion that he died in the war ( but still a possibility) and the woman he is supposed to have had the affair with was said to be from the Altrincham area, possibly Timperley.  My mother told me this many years ago before she died and when I was relatively young and totally disinterested...

Keep those mails coming and thanks to all who have responded.

Nick

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 April 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
Further to the debate on WW1 service records anyone interested in obtaining a WW1 service record may be interested in the following link.  It should also be noted that if you have enough information to hand in order obtain the correct medal card (which usually tells you nothing you didn't already know except the medal type and occasionally the country served in) then you also have enough information to send for a search on the full record.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/foi/pdf/ifa_m3_first_world_war_army_service_otherranks.pdf

I may have to write down all the service numbers of the William TAYLORs who served in The Leicesters and go down to Kew myself to conduct a search on each one in turn.  Seems to be the only remaining option.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.  I've ordered his birth cert to see if there might be a middle name and I am searching for the baptism that I think may have been at Marthall in Cheshire in or around 1889.

Nick