Author Topic: Donald MURRAY - Where Next?  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Donald MURRAY - Where Next?
« on: Friday 13 May 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Donald Murray was the 3xG Grandfather of hubby.

His death entry in Carloway for 24 Feb 1877 gives his occupation as Blacksmith (as do the census returns for xx-xx), his age as 67 and states he was from South Shawbost. His son, Neil, was the informant.
The entry states that Donald is married to Ann MacLEAN and gives his parents as John MURRAY and Ann MacLEOD.

I know the info given is only as good as the person giving it...

I have a baptism entry for 9 Mar 1804 in Stornoway with father John.

I can only find one marriage of Donald MURRAY to Anne MacLEAN and that's 4 Aug 1821 Kilcalmonell & Kilberry. I think this is too far away as both "my" Donald and Anne were from Lochs (based on pob in census returns), lived and had their children in Lochs. Also it seem too early based on their children.
The children of Donald & Anne were Roderick (1831); Neil (1833); Anne (1835); John (1838); Isabella (1842); Donald (1843); Neil (1844) - all bp, except Roderick are from IGI, and give mother's name as Anne MacLEAN.
Some are submitted, some are extracted.

Neil is also the informant of his mother's, Anne, death 20 Apr 1899. He gives her parents as Angus MacLEAN and Catherine MacLEOD.

Can anyone help find the marriages of
Donald MURRAY - Anne MacLEAN
John MURRAY - Anne MacLEOD
Angus MacLEAN - Catherine MacLEOD

Or does it seem the Neil probably made up his grandparents names?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Leap

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald MURRAY - Where Next?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 April 13 15:58 BST (UK) »
I realize this was an old posting , hope you get this. I have your Donald Murray and everything seems to fit. Donald also had a brother Kenneth (Blacksmith) who married Ann's sister Catherine MacLean. Neil ,Donald's son, did not make up his grandparents names. Neil married Christina Morrison, she died in 1882 leaving Neil a widower with five children, Catherine and Ann were my Ggrandmother's aunts. Guess that makes Donald and Kenneth my ggguncles by marriage.  I have letters that were written from Lewis to Canada 1854-1908 from relatives to my ggrandmothers. Donald and Kenneth's families were often mentioned in those letters. Both Donald and Kenneth died in 1877 about a month apart. If you want the OPR that I have let me know.   Caind regards  Lea

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Donald MURRAY - Where Next?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 April 13 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lea =)
Welcome to RC!

Thank you so much for your reply.
Neil's older brother Roderick was hubby's 2xG Grandfather.

I'd love to see the OPR if possible.
You'll need to make 2 more posts on RC before you can use the PM system.

Thank you again =)
Kia
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***