Author Topic: John Milne Botriphnie  (Read 3969 times)

Offline marharvard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Milne Botriphnie
« on: Thursday 04 April 13 08:37 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with my search please.  John Milne b: 25/11/1851 Torhead, Botriphnie. Parents George Milne & Isabella Burgess.  I cant find John with his parents 1861 census and on Ann Milne's (his sister) birth notice 13/08/1855 it says Isabella's third child with one boy living, one girl living and one boy deceased.  I assume John died between 1851-1855 but cant find any death record.  Any ideas please?? :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Milne Botriphnie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 13 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi marharvard

This period that you are looking at is before the start of official registration from 1855. At best, you may find an entry for his death or burial in the Old Parish Registers. However, these registers were the worst kept of all the OPRs. What is available you should be able to search on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&1353

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with my search please.  John Milne b: 25/11/1851 Torhead, Botriphnie. Parents George Milne & Isabella Burgess.  I cant find John with his parents 1861 census and on Ann Milne's (his sister) birth notice 13/08/1855 it says Isabella's third child with one boy living, one girl living and one boy deceased.  I assume John died between 1851-1855 but cant find any death record.  Any ideas please?? :)

I have made the same assumption, because I have not been able to find him in any census. Unfortunately the burial record doesn't seem to exist.

What is your interest in this Milne family? I have done quite a bit of work on the Burgess family and am in touch with several descendants.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline marharvard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 13 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica, I have searched the OPRs but nothing. It's as if he has disappeared. All of the other childrens' records were so well recorded I am surprised. It's like I'm missing something.

Offline marharvard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, you previously helped me a great deal. George and Isabella are my gr gr grandparents. I have searched long and hard for John but can't find anything except his birth record.  Have had success with a lot of the other children except the girls, mainly can't find their marriage therefore their death records.  I really wanted to find out what happened to John though.  Ps:I would love to know of any living descendants.

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 April 13 22:01 BST (UK) »

Ps:I would love to know of any living descendants.

hello marharvard, I'm one of the descendants of the Burgess family that Forfarian was talking about...I'm not a direct descendant of George and Isabella but Adam Burgess, my 2 x great grandfather was Isabella's brother so we share their parents - Alexander Burgess and Anne Stuart/Stewart. Unfortunately, I don't have any information which would help on George and Isabella's family but do have quite a lot on the Burgess family which I'm happy to share )

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk