Author Topic: WFHS "wiltsbmd" CODES  (Read 3156 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WFHS "wiltsbmd" CODES
« on: Tuesday 04 February 14 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have the pdf or sitelink to the actual computer codes for all the churches (even though I have managed to piece most of the list back together for marriages),      mainly interested in the births and deaths code list breakdown please.......     that is being used on the wiltshire bmd....

[If it doesnt exist then I will  type up what I have got and make a pdf against Brett Langstons regindex list and see what is missing]

2nd part of question..........   does anyone know if they are going to do Swindon/ Highworth onto the bmd or is that just being to much to ask....?

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WFHS "wiltsbmd" CODES
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Are you refererring to the codes used by WiltshireBMD and listed on the links below?

http://www.wiltshirebmd.org.uk/birthcov.php

http://www.wiltshirebmd.org.uk/marrcov.php

http://www.wiltshirebmd.org.uk/deathcov.php

I'm not that familiar with Wiltshire but at a glance the areas covered by WiltshireBMD appear to be in Wiltshire County Council whereas Swindon and Highworth are in Swindon Borough Council.

Andy

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 08:19 GMT (UK) »
cheers andy....       maybe this should become a resource link.....

thanks   ......   [ didnt feel like typing my rough list  :)]

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 08:34 GMT (UK) »
2nd part of question..........   does anyone know if they are going to do Swindon/ Highworth onto the bmd or is that just being to much to ask....?

As with most genealogical websites, WiltshireBMD is run by volunteers, working in their spare time.
I am sure they would be happy to have another volunteer, if you feel they aren't working fast enough?! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm not sure about Wiltshire but my understanding is that with the BMD websites at least some if not all of the transcribing and checking has to be done onsite.

Andy

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if there is confusion here

Fastfusion asked about WFHS "wiltsbmd" Codes for churches - the Wiltsbmd links that have been quoted refer to registration districts/offices

I was told when the wiltsbmds started to go on-line that it would be up to the individual registration districts/offices and the local council if this information be published there are bound to be gaps where bureaucracy and red tape make a decision to hinder the advancement of free information.  However those that are published are a great resource although I did find several errors in the early days when I purchased the birth certificates. 

Saying that it has probably become far more efficient over the years

As an afterthought the wiltsbmd project will also include I believe those marriages that took place within a registry office as well as a church. 

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trancesgirl

Fastfusion referred to codes that is being used on the wiltshire bmd, in the case of marriages the codes are for Churches apart from the Civil Marriages. Certainly Births and Deaths have no connection to Churches but to Registration Districts and sub-Districts.

Generally the BMD sites have the logos of the various Councils and Family History Societies involved, I see that WiltshireBMD only has Wiltshire Council and WFHS which suggests that Swindon Council are not yet involved

Andy

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy

That clears up my confusion but when Fastfusion said WFHS I thought there may be 2 such schemes running - I hadn't used the Wiltsbmds for a very long time and hadn't realised it was a combined project - I can now see why Fastfusion would like to see a list of the church codes

Thank you Fastfusion and  Andycand - have had a look at the site and it has improved immensely from when I first used it - in a matter of minutes of have found 3 of my Henly's that I hadn't the exact marriage location -

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 05:37 GMT (UK) »
i just might add here......  the code reflective of the wilts bmd is also in part the entry number in the parish register from 1836 / 7 or whenever the church started......  so if one downloaded every single entry on the wilts bmd marriages and tediously put them back in numeric code one would have the marriage register for that church without the day, the month and the fathers etc etc but with an entry from fs.o one gets the date for most if the latter scope covers that church......     and then if one checks against free bmd one gets the certificate reference number , excepting in the case of some registry office unions.........        and if one did tediously take all the entries and sort them out those lists could be given to volunteers who would need to get the microfilms or fische to complete the data without having to retype the whole list,,,,,,   then and only then would we get parish reconstructions in the marriages.....................   but i guess i kept saying that over the years cos thats how i have been rebuilding my copies of parish churches.....    the births and deaths are another cup of tea.............................. :)