Author Topic: Ada Mary Trapp  (Read 15480 times)

Offline smeni

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Mary Trapp
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed its a puzzle! Will look at files when I return to UK and try and make some sense of it all!
Eidman, Eidmann, Eidmans - London, Cardiff, Somerset
Payne - London, Cardiff, Somerset
Scott - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Leith
Lawrence - Edinburgh, Leith
Oriel - Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire
Hobbs, Huggins - Gloucester
Hurlow, Protheroe - Pembrokeshire
McLeod, Dallison

Offline Greg314159

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I've only registered today and saw this trail.
My great-grandfather was William Eidmans, born in Cork, approx 1859. His older brother and his father were both called Joseph Stayner Eidmans.
I have a couple of certificates, which could be useful to you.
Joseph Stayner Eidmans married Marianne Varnham in Newington on 19/06/1854. Marianne died in 1888. Joseph remarried in 1898 to Katherine Churchman.
I have both of these marriage certificates and can let you have more details.

Joseph's eldest son, also Joseph Stayner Eidmans married Fanny Townsend in 1876 in Camberwell.

Unfortunately, I little or no information regarding Ada Mary Trapp, nor information earlier than the Joseph born approx 1832. His father is listed on the marriage certificates also as Joseph Stayner Eidmans and I have found that there is an Eliza Eidmans listed on BMD as having died aged 83 in 1898, which could make her Joseph (1832) 's mother.

Kind regards
Greg

Offline smeni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 10:01 BST (UK) »
that is very interesting, and I would very much like to have the details from the marriage certificates you have, if that is possible.   will look into my own info (I have been away from home for a while) now, and try and tie in some of the records I have.  I always understood that the original family name was "Eydmann" changed to "Eidmann" and it was assumed an error (deliberate or otherwise) changed the last "n" to an "s".  Our side of the family dropped the last "n" around 1900.  look forward to receiving your info!
McLeod, Dallison

Offline Greg314159

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 May 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Joseph Stayner Eidmans married Marianne Varnham on 19th June 1854 at the Parish Church in the Parish of St Mary Newington, Surrey. Joseph Stayner Eidmans was a bachelor of full age working as a civil engineer, living in Lacey Terrace. His father was Joseph Stayner Eidmans, a merchant. Marianne Varnham was a minor and a spinster, also living in Lacey Terrace. Her father was Arthur Varnham, a stationer. The witnesses were E Varnham, her sister and an unreadable entry.

Joseph Stayner Eidmans married Katharine Churchman on 2nd August 1898 at the Congregational Church, High Street Lewisha, London. Joseph Stayner Eidmans was a widower aged 62 years working as an optician, living at 43, Albacore Crescent, Lewisham. His father was Joseph Stayner Eidmans, a merchant, deceased. Katharine Churchman was a spinster aged 42 years living at 26, Hollydale Road, Peckham. Her father was William James Churchman, a cashier, deceased. The witnesses were Horace J Barnes and William Burgess.

Note that his son, William's marriage certificate lists him as an optician in July 1886.

If you want scanned copies, then let me know and we could perhaps exchange e-mail addresses...

I would be interested in the details of any Eidmans certificates that you have, since I am trying to piece together this complicated part of my tree.

Finally, my mother vaguely remembers that the Eidmans were a family of opticians and that they changed the surname at some point (though she cannot remember how it was changed). I am going to contact her cousins to see if they have any other family history.

Kind regards
Greg

Offline smeni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 14 May 09 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Greg, great info.  Will PM you with e-mail and other family info.
McLeod, Dallison

Offline smeni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 May 09 13:40 BST (UK) »
Just to update anyone who has been following this thread, I think we have established that Ada did not marry Joseph Stayner Eidmans, but did have two children with him (he is named as the father on Frank's marriage certificate).  The older child died, just as Frank was born.  There is another Frank Eidmans, he is older than Ada's son.   I have been in contact with a lady who is researching part of Ada's family, and she has come to the same conclusion.  There is simply no evidence that Joseph and Ada married.  Joseph did marry twice, the first time to Marianne Varnham.  After she died, he married Katherine Churchman, with whom he already had a family.  There is no evidence to prove they ever lived together, though, as various census show he was always away from home on the night of the census!  Will continue with research, never know what might turn up! Ada lived until 1919, with her sister, and always referred to herself as Ada Eidmans.
McLeod, Dallison

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 17 May 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
thanks for the update and glad that it is coming together!!

good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iforonwy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 12 October 09 21:40 BST (UK) »
Very interested in this thread as my dh's great-grandmother is the Ada Mary Trapp in question.
We too have been searching for a marriage for Ada and Joseph.

Offline iforonwy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 21:56 BST (UK) »
May I put a few things into the mix. I think that I am the person refered to as having a family decended from Frank Eidmans. He was my husband's grandfather.

Frank did not marry a Dorothy Robins but a Mary Margaret Julia Ellen Robin who as she was very small of stature was known as Dorothy ( a reference to Little Dorrit).

I am still trying to find a marriage for Ada and Joseph as although it is possible that they did not marry I think as Ada was such a staunch catholic it might have been that they divorced and in her eyes she was widowed.

Also Joseph registered the birth of Frank (and the death of William) so would he have done so if not married to Ada I wonder?

I have done a great deal of work on the Trapp family and I am willing to share my research to date.