Author Topic: MARTIN family Blewbury  (Read 19611 times)

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MARTIN family Blewbury
« on: Monday 06 August 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to parish records of Blewbury?  I'm looking for baptisms between 1816 & 1841
Parents were Francis & Hannah MARTIN and I believe they had 18 children.
The IGI gives birth dates for some but were these really baptisms?

Thanks
Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN family Blewbury
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 07 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

These entries are from the Dr. William's Library Nonconformist Registers.

Blewbury Berkshire

Esther Born 14 January 1820
Alfred Born 22 September 1821
Charlotte Born 26 February 1823
Jabez Born 23 October 1824
Martha Born 25 May 1826
Abijah Born 27 December 1827
Silas Born 1 Janauary 1830
Ezra Born 17 July 1832

Father Francis Martin
Mother Hannah Beesly
Mothers Father Thomas Beesley
FHL Film 815942

Sorry all that were listed on the BVRI

Frances :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 07 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for those - now, why didn't I suspect that they might be Methodist with a series of Christian names like that!
So it was birth dates on the IGI after all.  Just 10 more to find!

Thanks again
Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 07 23:09 BST (UK) »
If you have birth dates with no baptism dates they are more likely to have been Baptists rather than Methodists.  This is consistent with Dr Williams' Library which held the records of the Baptist, Congregational and Presbytarian Churches rather than the Methodists.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 00:48 BST (UK) »
David,

You are right of course - Dr William's Library covers Non-Conformist or Non Parochial records - thank you for pointing out the implication of only a birth date being given might mean they were Baptists and not as I had said Methodists who are christened as children.  With names such as Isaac, Esther, Jabez, Abijah, Ezra, Caleb, Ezekiel, Ebenezar and Dorcas, etc - which ever demonination they followed they certainly favoured Biblical names.

My original concern was that the IGI entries were from an individual and not extracted and as they were birth dates I wanted to check their accuracy especially as most were pre-registration.

I'm very grateful for your assistance.  I'm unfamiliar with Berkshire research - do you know if there was a Baptist Church in Blewbury?  I see that there is a Didcot Baptist Church Centre with an address of Blewbury, Oxfordshire; is this the same place?

Thank you
Pat

Offline titania

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 September 07 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hey Pat

here are some from the parish register transcripts father and mother Francis and Hannah Martin

6 Jun 1818 Isaac
same day   Hannah nothing further to 1838
father described as a shoemaker and living in Blewbury
There are 3 other Martin couples having children in the same period all of the fathers Basketmakers.
William and Ann, Thomas and Sarah, James and Jane
cheers Chris

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 April 08 19:12 BST (UK) »
I have Ezra in my tree, he married Sophia Packer and went to the  US and married 3 more. Obviously  Mormon as most of it happened at Salt Lake City although Sophia was a local (Reading)  as was Eliza (beth?) Goodsell b 1/2/1838 at Blewbury. Ezra died 1912, Sophia1868, Eliza Oliver 1896, Eliza Goodsell 1908. The Utah state gov site is excellent with many scans of death certificates on and building up more.Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Marianne21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 19:02 BST (UK) »
If you contact me I have quite alot of information on The Martin family of Blewbury as I have been researching this line for some time.
Lord,London and Northamptonshire.Sansom, London. Clark, Essex.Welch, Kent.Dowsett, London.Gunter, London and Berkshire.
Walsom,London.Pate, London and Hertfordshire.Dickers, Berkshire.
Broome, Oxfordshire and Berkshire.

Offline dfss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 August 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Marianne...

Sorry to contact you out of the blue as it were, but I have just discovered that I am descended from the Martin family of Blewbury by the direct line on my mother's side. Her father was Francis Alfred 1890-1952; his father Charles Alfred b.1861; his father Caleb 1835-1869; his father Francis (of Blewbury) 1790-1870; his father Thomas b.1746.
  Some of the above is gleaned from censuses, some from IGI. I would be very grateful if you could confirm whether the above fits in with any of your researches and if there is any additonal information you could give me.
  I remember meeting some of the elderly members of this family when still a child. Unfortunately my mothers immediate relatives bearing the surname Martin have now died out.

All best wishes,
dfss