Author Topic: Date & age please - John Hayter carte de visite  (Read 7226 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Date & age please - John Hayter carte de visite
« on: Friday 12 December 14 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, can anyone please date this card & put an age to the sitter? I do not have the original, the attached image is from a photocopy given to me by my late mother's cousin. Their great grandmother was Eleanor Hayter 1818 - 1894 both in Marylebone, daughter of Charles a blacksmith on her 1838 Marylebone marriage record. Father Charles possibly born 1789; I have no death date; he's not the Charles Hayter blacksmith of Staines who died 1826 as I have that man's will
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=402359.msg2715546#msg2715546

Who was 'Uncle John Hayter' - could he have been the portrait painter 1800 - 1895? I am wondering whether he was Eleanor's uncle so a brother of her father? Or would the date suggest her father's uncle? If the card could be dated I can perhaps work out which generation Uncle John is from  :o

There's a picture of John Hayter the painter here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hayter
To me this definite John Hayter does not look the same as the man on the card. Would a painter have lived at Jack Straw's Castle?

Thanks for any help, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Date & age please - John Hayter carte de visite
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 December 14 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey  :)

Have you come across this link? www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/search/cataloguedetail.html?&priref=79040&_function_=xslt&_limit_=10 Reference to a J Hayter, writer.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 December 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I think he was probably not a writer as such, but 'the writer' (i.e. the creator) of the item being catalogued by the Fitzwilliam, which is categorised as 'accounts'.

John Hayter was a publican. He held the licence of Jack Straw's Castle in 1827.
See here, halfway down on the left
http://www.thevirtualtourofhampstead.co.uk/familyhistory.htm

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 December 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
VERY interesting, Monica, thanks  :). That even gives a date for the 'accounts'.

Wow, bookbox, a publican in the family  :D explains a lot

Thank you both. I'll email the museum, they might even like an image of the carte!!

Josey
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 December 14 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Indeed  ;)

There are a couple of references to him being a victualler. Trying to shrink the link via RC, but not currently working. This is the long link to google books for it (there are a couple the same):

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bzNFAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA4-PA4&lpg=RA4-PA4&dq=John+Hayter,+late+of+the+Jack+Straw%27s+Castle.&source=bl&ots=PSbWvoQv7l&sig=R3Q9N_NiZV3q9CCYt4Not6N9wdQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jxiLVNHjB8uvU9uMgVA&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=John%20Hayter%2C%20late%20of%20the%20Jack%20Straw%27s%20Castle.&f=false

Apologies for length...but have tried to shorten!

Monica

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 December 14 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic, thanks.

Would the Gazette entry [with Official assignee & solicitors named] be about transfer of property?

ADDED or was this a list of bankrupts  :(?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 December 14 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Not sure Josey, hopefully others can add...

There is also this snippet. From 1833, like every other pub landlord then and for ever, the Sabath and all that  ::):

Yesterday Mr. John Hayter, landlord ofthe well-known jack Straw's Castle, on Hampstead-heatb, appeared ut thjaoflice plirtuant to adjournment ffoav Friday last, to answer on in formation laid against him by Johnson, the informer,Tor'serving liquor during divine service. -Daniel Byrne, Johnson's witness, stated'that:he went to Jack Straw VCastle on Sunday, the 10th ult., at half-past three o'clock, and "saw two men- go in at the front door of the defendant's house, h� followed, them, and called for a glass uf rum, and was referred by the servant to the side entrance of the house from the garden, whither he went; and was -served with the rum, which he paid threepence for, and after drinking it went "away.-Mr. Hammond, a respectable solicitor, of No. 16, Farnival's-inn. accompanied Mr. Hayter to this office, and said it was not his intention to deny the fact of liquor being sold during church-lime, as stated by the informer's .witness, lie believed, however, the worthy magistrate drew a distinction between houses in the suburbs of London and those in town, and he was glad ofthe present opportunity of expressing the satisfaction be felt when he read the remarks that fell from him (Mr. Rawliuson) on Friday,'....

http://newspaperarchive.com/uk/middlesex/london/true-sun/1833/03-28/page-4 - shows for seconds and then disappears to subs. page...

All lovely colour and background to people  :)

Monica

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 December 14 16:50 GMT (UK) »
ADDED or was this a list of bankrupts  :(?

Yes, it's listed under 'Town and Country Fiats'.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 December 14 17:03 GMT (UK) »
What a scamp he was, Monica, thanks for finding that. I have a subs to british newspaper archive, I'll see if there's anything there.

Thanks for that, bookbox.