Author Topic: Looking to what happened to Joseph Taylor  (Read 3380 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to what happened to Joseph Taylor
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 March 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I found a family tree that says Joseph Miller Taylor, husband of Lucinda Tulloch, died 27 Aug. 1918 in Carleton Cty. Ottawa, Ontario. 

A 1921 Canadian census entry indicates that Lucinda remarried to an Aubrey Cheeseman and was living with son Arthur and daughter Agnes Taylor, born in the US.  The tree says Agnes was born in Cambridge, Ohio on 18 Jun. 1915 and died in Ottawa in 1994.  It also says Arthur William Taylor-Cheeseman died 1996 in Ottawa.  Perhaps he fought for Canada in WWII?

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 March 14 20:34 GMT (UK) »
JEEZO ,(polite scottish expression of amazement). Thats fantastic as names match perfect . Arthur, William after there fathers and Agnes after Joes mother ,he probably did feel homesick for his wee mammy  :) Shame as she lived longer than him and probably never knew or family didnt talk about it . My aunt in her 80,s is still alive and she was the one who answered the door to Arthur. We Scots think Americans and Canadians sound alike.
Do you have a link for the tree and is there Taylors still  in Canada .thanks a million  Ray:-)
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 March 14 20:50 GMT (UK) »
A lot of Canadians do sound like Americans.  One of the few telltale signs they say "about" like "a boat".   ;)

The tree is on ancestry.com, but you may also be able to find it on their free sister site www.mundia.com

The tree mentions one deceased son of Agnes and shows a picture of a Christmas card that includes two other sons.  It says Arthur was married to Isabel M. Packman, born 1914, died 1984 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  No children of Arthur were mentioned.  Lucinda also apparently had a daughter and son from her 2nd marriage, and both are now deceased.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 March 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a newspaper article about Agnes' wedding from Sept. 1941 here - http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/48172219/  If you scroll towards the bottom, you can see a box with the text.  It mentions that one of the ushers was Cadet-Officer Arthur Taylor Cheesman, of Brockville.

Article about Arthur's wedding - http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/48433223/

Article about Arthur going overseas in 1943 - http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/43904893/

An obituary and picture of one of Arthur's daughters - http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ottawacitizen/obituary.aspx?n=catherine-griese&pid=161162429

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 March 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for all the help and info regarding Joseph and Lucinda . Have had made contact and have seen the family tree . Strangely enough have made contact with Josephs other brother Alexanders grandaughter and she tells me her grandparents got married in New York in 1909 while Joseph was there .. I presume Alexander followed him  but got homesick as he settled in Shotts Lanarkshire with his wifes family .thanks again for your help .
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline canadianfin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 May 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
I am one of the sons of Agnes Finlayson (Taylor) and can help you fill in some of your missing information ref: Cheesman etc.

I found a family tree that says Joseph Miller Taylor, husband of Lucinda Tulloch, died 27 Aug. 1918 in Carleton Cty. Ottawa, Ontario. 

A 1921 Canadian census entry indicates that Lucinda remarried to an Aubrey Cheeseman and was living with son Arthur and daughter Agnes Taylor, born in the US.  The tree says Agnes was born in Cambridge, Ohio on 18 Jun. 1915 and died in Ottawa in 1994.  It also says Arthur William Taylor-Cheeseman died 1996 in Ottawa.  Perhaps he fought for Canada in WWII?

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 May 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
 Hi Canadianfin ,sent you a PM , :)

Offline canadianfin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hello again, I am having trouble replying as it says I am not allowed private messages?? Anyway Yes my mother Agnes Taylor was born in Ohio as you stated and her father Joseph Taylor as far as I know was a Stone Mason and worked in the US for a while. My mother had a brother Arthur and David Taylor Cheesman (his son) is my cousin.He lives close by. Joseph Taylor is buried in Beechwood Cemetery in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. Can give you lots more info but am out of time at the moment.
Will be in touch.
Andrew

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew , good Scottish name  ;) . Yeah thats fine , you must have registered to post , ask a moderator for info.