Author Topic: ethel may Lloyd  (Read 20013 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ethel may Lloyd
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 03:31 BST (UK) »
  I know you have this but will post for those in England... The Manvers Durham area where the two children are in 1911 is filled with children from England, oddly most listed as "boarder" altho some are "domestics" ...we are accustomed to seeing them as listed as household help... :-\ :P
  Ethel May and friend Alice are on page 9 with the Langs, I imagine the family mentioned earlier. I wonder how they made so many dishes, perhaps she must have fed many farmhands.
 http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/EnumerationDistrict.jsp?id=5787
I am soooo happy they moved her away from an unhappy home! Good for them for listening to her.
Not all were so lucky to have an ear...

Alice Atkinson arrived on the SICILIAN 1909 as well...She might be the operator in Toronto 1921
Search can be done here, image available to view for free
http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=8991
it appears she donated twice to the girl's fund while just a girl herself...hopefully she did this on her own terms... They weren't making much money.
http://www.bifhsgo.ca/cstm_upsAndDowns.php?page=1&nr=150&scl=sna&sn=atkinson

Odd that the marriage was recorded so late in the Home children's magazine..., 11 years after the marriage.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 04:02 BST (UK) »
It was the Langs where Ethel was sent and she was taken back. I'm not sure what happened to the other girl. I'm not surprised with her marriage being announced so many years after the fact. It's obvious Barnardo was trying to raise more cash and he was trying to show the good job he was doing. It wasn't enough he collected money from donations in the UK he also got paid from the Canadian Gov't. for each child sent to the new world. This apparently wasn't enough money for him he demanded many of the people he sent overseas had to pay him a good part of their indentures back to Barnardos. Needless to say I have little respect for that organization.

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kbh1

You expressed interest in Ethel May's siblings and aunts and uncles so I've done a little searching in some UK Census records.

I believe that Ethel May had 2 siblings....John Edgar (born approx 1909) and Beatrice Irene (born approx 1910), both born in All Saints, Hereford.

It was stated that Ethel was the daughter of John Lloyd and Roseannah Reed.  It appears that Roseannah was the daughter of Henry Reed and Mary Ann (possibly Jones).

The following Census entries will provide more information about Ethel May's grandparents and aunts and uncles.

1891 England Census
4 Green Street
St. Owen Parish,  Hereford

Henry Reed, head, married, age 32, general labourer
Mary Ann Reed, wife, married, age 33
Henry Reed, son, age 10, scholar
Roseannah, daughter, age 8, scholar
Charles, son, age 7, scholar
Gertrude, daughter, age 5
Mary A., daughter, age 3
Mabel, daughter, age 1

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1901 England Census
136 Green Street
St. Owen Parish, Hereford

Henry Reed, head, age 42, General Labourer
Mary A. Reed, wife, age 43
Mabel, daughter, age 11
Albert, son, age 8
Ernest, son, age 4
Sarah A., daughter, age 2

I will continue to look for information and will post if I find anything.

Please understand that this is all speculation until you prove the relationships with certificates.  These appear to the the best fit given the information that has been provided on this thread.

Susan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
John Edgar's birth was registered June Q 1908 ....Beatrice Irene June Q 1910...
This is a decade after the birth of Ethel, it seems likely there were more living children in between?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
According to my math when Ethel was born her mother was 15 years old. I don't know when he father was born any help with this is appreciated.

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
JJ, I was thinking the same thing; however, it is stated on a census that Rose had 3 children born alive and 3 children living.  They were married about 1898/99.

MelLavoie, from ages stated on the Census images (which aren't always very accurate) John Lloyd was born about 1875 and Roseannah Reed was born about 1882.

Beatrice Irene (1910-1992) married Stanley Percy H. Wilsher (1910-1984) in the June quarter 1934 in Hammersmith, London.

Susan

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
I have seen Ethel May's birthdate listed as December 28, 1898 on some family trees.  There is a birth registration in the first quarter 1899 for an Ethel May Lloyd born in Hereford.  It's Vol 6a, Page 546 if you are interested in ordering the certificate from GRO.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/GRO/content/certificates/default.asp

Susan

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 20:11 BST (UK) »
It appears that Ethel May's father, John Lloyd, is the son of John Lloyd and Elizabeth (possible Pugh).

The following census information will give some possible information on this side of the family.

1881 England Census
21 Catherine St.
St. Peters, Hereford

John Lloyd, Head, married, age 38, Labourer
Elizabeth Lloyd, Wife, married, age 26
John, son, age 6
Elizabeth, age 4
Alfred, age 2
John Pugh, Father, age 64
Elizabeth Pugh, Mother, age 66

1891 England Census

John Lloyd, head, married, age 46, labourer
Elizabeth, wife, married, age 35
Sarah, daughter, age 7
Alfred, son, age 5

A couple of doors down
Elizabeth Pugh, Lodger, Widow, age 77, charwoman

1901 England Census

John Lloyd (transcribed as Loyde), head, married, age 54, building labourer
Elizabeth, wife, married, age 45
George, son, age 15, news boy

Have some appointments this afternoon so will look at this again tonight.

Susan

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
There could very well be some confusion about her real birthday as she was given the wrong birth certificate. The certificate she was issued stated she was the daughter of William Alfred Reid and Eliza Ellington of Aldershot. Ethel May Reid of Aldershot remained in England though and raised a family. Her birthday was Dec 28,1898.

From the info becoming available it's too bad our grandmother never got a chance to know of and communicate with her brother and sister.
Thirty years ago I was told Ethel was found on a doorstep during the Boer War and her aunt raised her until eventually placing her up for adoption. The doorstep she was told was that of her aunt. Her father passed away in the Boer war....what we were told.
Our grandmother always  maintained she remembered sitting on her grandfather's lap as a young child but according the info from Barnardo's she was born to in-reputable parents and she was apprehended at age 5.
It may have been she did remember her grandfather but wondering which one. 
Is It true her parents were in workhouse in Hereford ?