Author Topic: Hodgsons Buildings  (Read 18948 times)

Offline ThompJack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgsons Buildings
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 February 09 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the picture. Sad to see it in this state as it must have been quite large in it's hey day. During my research I have come across quite a few people with ancestors in Hodgsons Buildings so it would have been quite big. At least the name plate looks good and has survived. In view of it's history I'm surprised there is nothing about it on the web. The name Hodgson seems quite common up there through the ages so I wonder who Hodgson was that it was named after.
Your comment about the 10 year old miner reminds me that when I first saw the census form I assumed it was a misprint for Minor. When I looked at the excellent Durham Mining Museum site I realized that 10 year olds were quite common. Terrible to read about some of the accidents involving young boys down the mines.
Cheers

Dave
Smith, Epsom/Wandsworth/Tooting, Wing, Epsom/Sussex, Street, Langford, Baldwin, Hertfordshire/Surrey, Brewer, Epsom, Sullivan, Epsom/Middlesex, Jackson, Sunderland/Durham, Thompson, Sunderland/Durham

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 February 09 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

It certainly does look sad. I would imagine the place was built to house the ever growing number of miners working at the pit. Its probably named after one of the owners of the pit. There was also a Stobbarts Buildings just up the street,long gone now. I also popped into Mere Knolls, I forgot how big the place is. Did you get a ward number by any chance?.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline ThompJack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 February 09 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Gary,
The only info I got for John's burial is :-
MERE - KNOLLS CEMETERY
            JOHN JACKSON
            PITMAN
            AGED:- 29
            DIED AT:- THE POOR HOUSE (BELONGING TO HODGSONS BUILDINGS)
            BURIED ON:- 4TH NOVEMBER 1879
            GRAVE NO:- 3017
Following on from what you suggested previously we are wondering if he was originally a miner then took the opportunity of a healthier job in the shipyards but then succumbed to a mining related illness which put him in hospital where he died and they assumed he was a miner due to the ailment. The informant on his death certificate is the Matron so it was not a family member who knew his background.
From what you said previously I assume that Mere Knolls was not a paupers graveyard.
I will take up Colin's suggestion and see if I can find any newspaper records. It must have been an individual death because there were no mention of any major disasters at that time. Oh for a crystal ball!!

Cheers

Dave
Smith, Epsom/Wandsworth/Tooting, Wing, Epsom/Sussex, Street, Langford, Baldwin, Hertfordshire/Surrey, Brewer, Epsom, Sullivan, Epsom/Middlesex, Jackson, Sunderland/Durham, Thompson, Sunderland/Durham

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 February 09 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Dave

Thanks for the info. As you probably know there was only 1 John Jackson registered death 1st Q 1879 and 2nd Q 1880 in Sunderland and the age fits. So I would say this your man. Mere Knolls did have paupers graves which is why I was surprised to find he was buried there given that he died in the poorhouse in bishopwearmouth. As Neil says the council would have buried him in the nearest cemetery, which is about half a mile from the poorhouse. So that is really strange. I think like Colin suggests a check through the media archives for the time in question for any report of an accident in the shipyards, apparently accidents happed on a daily basis in the shipyards. I will try and find out which ward the grave is and pop in and have a look next time I'm over to see the folks.

Gary

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I hope you have some luck with the newspapers. Sorry I can't help with a look-up.

There seems to be some doubt about his admittance to the poorhouse, so here's a couple of points to debate. Admissions were usually based on being homeless and unemployed. As his normal residence is given then he doesn't fall into that category. His family were at home so that's another pointer that he wasn't admitted as an inmate, as they would also have been admitted.

For what it's worth, I think he was admitted as a hospital patient and not as an inmate.

regards,
Colin

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Just in case you have not come across this site http://www.wearsideonline.com/ Its worth a look. Lots of info past and present. I particulaly like the Victorian crime section. Theres a picture of the workhouse in there some where.

Gary

Offline ThompJack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 February 09 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Colin,
Thanks for your thoughts which back up what I'm beginning to conclude. Now that I've got some excellent pointers from you guys we will try to make the effort to come up this year to do some local "on the ground" research to nail this once and for all. This individual has caused us some concern as he is the one doubt in our research into my wifes line so it will be good to sort him out. The trouble has been, not being local, we don't know a lot of this background information so thanks everyone.

Regards

Dave

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 February 09 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Regarding ward numbers for graves in Mere Knolls Cemetery, the cmetery was opened by the Monkwearmouth &  Southwick burial board and they only allocated grave numbers and not ward numbers.  Ward numbers were introduced later when the cemetery came under the control of Sunderland Council.  Establishing a ward number for the early graves may not be easy.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 February 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wearsider

Just off the phone to the council looks like a trip to town library is needed. I.m over that way today will call in an book a micro film reader for next week.

Gary