Author Topic: Red Villa, Wrexham  (Read 7118 times)

Offline lidgett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Red Villa, Wrexham
« on: Saturday 23 December 06 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Any locals with knowledge of Red Villa Wrexham?
One of my Gt Gt Grandmas gives it as her birthplace on one census, on the others it is either Wrexham or 'don't know'.  Since she was born before 1837 and had the common name of Taylor I could use all the help I can get. Can't trace on 1841-1851 census either.

Specific details are:
Maria Taylor born c1835/6 father James, a tailor, married Richard Thomas in Aldford Cheshire 1856. 

Boote, Formston, Furber, Lidgett, Thomas, Taylor, Leach, White-Cheshire
Goddard, Sweetlove-London
Goddard Lyngcoln-Suffolk
Roberts Bellis Owen-Flintshire
Taylor Thomas Evans-Denbighshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Red Villa, Wrexham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 06 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I am speculating perhaps,but this could refer to an area that is now known as Red Wither,which is to be found on the present Wrexham Industrial Estate,which is roughly in the Wrexham/Marchwiel area.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lidgett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that WRJ, I have just been searching old maps of the area but there seems to be little in the mid 1800s in the area of the industrial estate, however Marchwiel did have (possibly still does) a pub called Red Lion, equally intriguing.  Maybe St Marcellus PR is the next place to look, I don't suppose you know which parish would cover the area of the now industrial estate?
Hope you had a good holiday and best wishes for the season,
Linda
Goddard Lyngcoln-Suffolk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 06 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes it seems I too was a little hasty,when I first searched on Ancestry in 1851 for your Maria Taylor.I knew I should have been a little more suspicous of the Maria Taylor who is showing as a 74 year old Servant in Pickhill Denbighshire!On examination of the actual entry,she is actually 14 years of age,which would not be too far out  for yours.She is showing as born in Pickhill Denbighshire in c 1837.Now then although Pickhill is indeed in Denbighshire,it was actually for Church purposes in the Parish of Bangor-On-Dee which at that time was in Flintshire.You can see details of the Parish at;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Bangor/index.html

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 06 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Looking again at the 1851 Census,after finding perhaps a possible for your Maria Taylor,suddenly the John and Maria Taylor who are living in Pickhill Lane Sesswick look very interesting,and could indeed be possible Parents for your Maria.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline lidgett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 06 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, I was just trawling through the 1881 lds census incase anyone gave Red Villa as a dwelling, but no.  I shall add those parishes to my wish list.  I hadn't spotted that Maria either, I know she wasn't born after civil reg started. Plenty to have a go at now.  Your latest post has just arrived.  Maria's father was given as James....
so maybe not.  I'll have a look anyway
Thanks again
Linda
Goddard Lyngcoln-Suffolk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 December 06 11:40 GMT (UK) »
It depends how you intend to look up the Baangor-On-Dee Parish Registers,but if you were thinking of ordering the Booklets transcribed by Clwyd FHS,their Baptisms are only complete up to 1812.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 December 06 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose it could be an unusual translation of Plas Coch or another Welsh variation? There was at least a Plas Coch in the Wrexham area.
Perhaps the Welsh speakers might come up with another idea.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline lidgett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 December 06 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Peter
I tried to do a translation on the internet and came up with Rhudd and goch and coch but couldn't find anything to go with it....being a poor english speaker myself. 
Nos da
Linda
Goddard Lyngcoln-Suffolk