Author Topic: Jeremiah GRIFFIN of Ardfert? Julia Mahony of Tralee?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jeremiah GRIFFIN of Ardfert? Julia Mahony of Tralee?
« on: Saturday 20 April 13 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
hoping someone could please verify or assist with direction in researching these Griffins of Kerry.

Currently I am looking to verify baptism records for Jeremiah Griffin and marriage details to his wife Julia Mahony to definitively link them to Ireland.

Handed down histories through the family indicate that both were from County Kerry and were married in 6/02/1883 however I have no documents to support this.

By working backwards I have been able to establish the following:

Jeremiah Griffin, died 1903 in Queensland, Australia aged 46 (birth circa. 1857)
(died in a benevolent Asylum after a rail road injury)
father: John Griffin
Mother: Catherine Taylor
I also have a date of 1859 in family records that may indicate a marriage for John and Catherine, or it could be Jeremiah's birth???

Julia Griffin, died Oct 1916, Queensland, Australia, aged 60
Father: John Mahony
Mother: Mary Hayes,
I have found a  possible baptism on 5 May 1856, Castleisland, Kerry, Ireland, parents as above

Possible immigration records (ages do not match but within 5 yrs):
Depart Plymouth England, Arrived Brisbane Queensland, 26 May 1883 "Nagpore"
Jeremiah Griffin aged 22
Julia Griffin aged 25 (free Settlers), no notes on nationality.

I would really appreciate any help any one could offer as I have not found much through the Irish records yet.

Thanks so much in advance :)
Tanya
Robilliard, Milne, Ogier, Lihou, Heckenberg, Beckett, Summers, Keevil, Appleton,Bilston, Chivers, Hogg, Patison, Mcgillivray, Anderson, Van de Wouw, Van der Loo,  Van der Meijden, Van Vugt, Marien, Cornelius

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah GRIFFIN of Ardfert? Julia Mahony of Tralee?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 13 06:51 BST (UK) »
There's also this record for a John Griffin...?

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/db04450593721

Edited to add: Though this couple go on to, for example, be the sponsors for a baptism of a Helen Griffen in 1887, which wouldn't tie in with your emigration details, so probably not...

Edited again to add: I've just noticed that the date from the irishgenealogy.ie website record for John Griffin matches the exact date you mentioned in your post, maybe the folk who were named as sponsors to Helen Griffen were a different John Griffin and Julia Mahoney. My instinct as a first step is to send off for the civil record mentioned at reply #1 above - does anyone else reading this have an opinion / any other ideas?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 April 13 14:53 BST (UK) »
also on irish genealogy.John Mahony married Mary Hayes in Castleisland 15th July 1855,wtns John Devane,Eliz Loughnane no parents given. some of their children Julia 5th may 1856,John 26th oct 1860,Patrick 20th may 1863. one baptism on the griffin side Anna Griffin 12th May 1861 at Ardfert Kerry.Townland for the Mahony births Cahiirch not sure if this town land also known as Carrig. Judging by the birth of Anna Griffin your 1859 date could possibly indicate the Griffin marriage.

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your replies, I had such trouble finding everything you've listed, you are all amazing and thank-you for sharing :)

More soon once I've had a chance to get back to the tree :)

Thanks everyone :)
Robilliard, Milne, Ogier, Lihou, Heckenberg, Beckett, Summers, Keevil, Appleton,Bilston, Chivers, Hogg, Patison, Mcgillivray, Anderson, Van de Wouw, Van der Loo,  Van der Meijden, Van Vugt, Marien, Cornelius

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 13 02:32 BST (UK) »
Ok, so I have gone back and tried to piece the puzzle together :)

Thanks for the links to the Jeremiah and Julia Marriage Gaffy, and your link to "John Griffin". all info matches perfectly except for Jeremiah's name.

does anyone know if it could be possible that there is a transcription error for John's first name? Or perhaps Jeremiah's name was actually John but was known as Jeremiah???

Either way It seems likely to me that this couple was indeed married in Feb of 1883, thank-you Gaffy for your research :)

I also checked the record for Helen griffin where John and Julia go on to be sponsors. The year is too late if the emigration record is correct. However it may not be, I also think it is iteresting that the couple are sponsors so close to where My family is supposed to have come from, so I guess I have some more digging to do :)

I do know that Jeremiah and Julia griffin have their first child, John (Jack) in QLD Aust in 1884. So I just need to figure out how and when they got from Ireland to Oz.

Thanks Dathai for your research on the "Mahony's" I think it is very clear that Julia was born and breed in Kerry Ireland and that her parents and family were indeed from here as well. Your info on Anna Griffin is really interesting as it also places the "griffin's" in Kerry too.

Does any one know if there are any "Lost records" during this time that would explain why I can not find a birth for Jeremiah (or John) to his known parents, or a marriage or birth for his parents?

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate your time and help :)