Author Topic: Lieut.Col. James Dalrymple's other childrens descendants? - Does any one know?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, Its a while since I've been back when last time (3 or so years ago) you were so helpful. I now think its time to try to find out about my Great Grand father's (x5) other children's descendents. His Will mentions children. There are letters in history (heart wrenching) from his oldest daughter who seems to have been left alone to cope and care for their Mother whilst the younger 3 were sent to England/ Scotland to be ' Westernized ' One of those three was my Great Grand father x 4 .( George William Weymms Dalrymple who got George Samuel Weymms Dalrymple) The spelling of Weymms is suspect on my behalf but its spelt like that on GWD's head stone in Glasgow's cemetary.It is some such similar)  Please help if you can.

Moderator comment: Please see this lengthy thread for all the previous research:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=383860.0
There are other connected threads.  This one gives details of some of the children http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,422020.0.html and this one too
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,380437.0.html
There may be others which are linked.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Lieut.Col. James Dalrymple's other childrens descendants? - Does any one know?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Glamis and welcome back  ;D

Can you post the names and approximate DOBs if you have them for the children?
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lieut.Col. James Dalrymple's other childrens descendants? - Does any one know?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 14 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Miriamkinga, Thanks for your interest and sorry I haven't got back before today. We've had a family weekend away prior to a Wedding next month. Anyway, From Lieut.Col. James' Will,the names are :- Noorjah, Mcbean and Durood or Duroud. There is a confusing matter of two children a boy and a girl (twins) who are referred to as ' Watsons' Either one is Mcbean or there is another child as yet unidentified. I think my ancestor is the boy twin who became George Weymms Dalrymple and who may have been Durood.I am sure this makes it as clear as mud but any help is gratefully appreciated. Thank You again.

I ought to add that in a letter to Noorjah, McBean told her about her daughter Kitty. I presume this would then be a daughter Katherine or Catherine McBean. I am assuming I am from the male ' Watson ' twin as I have the descendant line from George Weymms Dalrymple aka Darood perhaps but I have no idea about any from E MacBean or Noorjah. It maybe that Noorjah didn't have any as her husband died but if any others are out there from McBean or another ' Watson ' twin or Dawood/ Darood/ Daroud, please help.

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 September 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
Quoted from a letter by Noorjah Begum:

My mother, Mooti Begum, is the daughter of the Nawab of Masulipatan and my father is Lieutenant Colonel James Dalrymple of the Company’s Coast Military Establishment.

That three brothers and a sister, two of the former died young.  The other and my sister were educated after European traditions (I think) under the name of Watson.  My sister married a Mr McBean and subsequently died

She says she married a Sadue Bing during her father's lifetime, but was widowed in 1811.

So the children are:
Two brothers died young
Noorjah m. "Sadue Bing" before James' death; he died 1811 she was still alive in 1872
sister raised under the name "Watson", married a McBean ("McBean" in will)
brother raised under the name "Watson", sent back to England after his father's death ("George Weymms Dalrymple", presumably Durood in will)

I would guess that "Watson" was a false name used to hide the identities of the children when they were placed in school.

This might be the sister:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGJ1-S57
at least two of their children had the middle name "Dalrymple"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG44-L5W
ttps://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGZK-9ZR
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 September 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
Dear Jorose,

Thank You so very much for this. The Birth of a son ' Edward is news to me.I am certain this is our connection and is correct. As mentioned a letter written by ' McBean ' to her sister Noorjah mentions a daughter' Kitty ' but doesn't mention a son. It is clear that the two children named ' Watson ' were 'hidden ' to disguise their origins. I am wondering that whilst their Uncle; General Sir Samuel Dalrymple had settled in Morbihan, L'Orient, France and there is evidence to show his deep affection and support of GWD in Sir Samuel's Will, why there is no mention of the other two siblings? It may be because as they were then married. What became of Kitty and Edward is the next twist?

I have found another child from Elizabeth Mcbean and Hamilton Maxwell Bcbean; a girl born before Edward. Jane Elizabeth Mcbean born 5th January 1810.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG44-VZK

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 September 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
It seems Elizabeth and Hamilton Maxwell Mcbean produced a few children. We know of Jane Elizabeth and Edward Dalrymple now I see there were: -
Thomas Parry Born 22nd August 1817,
James Dalrymple born 11 September 1820,
Hamilton Maxwell birth date not recorded but christened 30 July 1821

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3AMcBean~%20%2Bbirth_place%3AMadras~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1790-1870~%20%2Bspouse_surname%3AMcbean~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3A%22Hamilton%20Maxwell%22~%20%2Bfather_surname%3AMcBean~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3AEliza~

I note that Hamilton Maxwell Mcbean married Elizabeth Watson in Madras 11th Feb 1809. He was born 1785 but sadly died 6th Jan 1823 aged just 38 leaving his widow with some very young children.

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22hamilton%20maxwell%22~%20%2Bsurname%3AMcBean~%20%2Bbirth_place%3AMadras~%20%2Brecord_type%3A%281%202%29

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 October 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
A very interesting thread. Any family photos of descendants. Sandra

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 October 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, No sadly I don't have any other than a few of Lieut. Col. James' Dalrymples Lair/ Grave which I am having problems uploading onto here. I haven't heard if anyone else has found anything out either. Thanks for your interest.

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 October 14 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Sandra