Author Topic: Need scholar of the WWI era London and Glasgow stage performers  (Read 1000 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Need scholar of the WWI era London and Glasgow stage performers
« on: Friday 25 January 13 05:57 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,632504.msg4803815.html#msg4803815

The link above and the attached file will will point you to some particulars of my grandfather's career on the stage.  His career as accountant, auditor, comptroller, and treasurer for petrochemical companies was more materially rewarding, but he could always delight you with a song and a dance and a droll story and an impersonation.  He did a marvelous Harry Lauder!  Can you imagine a charming auditor?  I can't!  I am wondering how much we can learn about my grandmother's career on the stage.  My mother tells me that Margaret "Maggie" Dunsmore insisted that she was the star and John was the chorus boy when they first met.  John was a veteran of Broadway, Australian variety, and WWI desert service when they met.  So, what was Maggie doing?  I'm told she made a great impression with "The lass with the delicate air" but I don't know whether the performance was on stage, radio, or recording.  I do remember, as the oldest of her grandsons, that she was a most charming woman, delicately scented of violets, who was amply proportioned and well suited to entertaining four young grandsons with tea and biscuits and stories and books and games and songs and her very long lacquered fingernails made an interesting percussive effect on the keys of her grand piano.  She was the oldest child and only daughter of her parents when her father, a lace manufacturer's agent, died and Maggie had to rear her five younger brothers while her mother took on her husband's business.  There was no dole or social safety net in those times.

Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Need scholar of the WWI era London and Glasgow stage performers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 13 23:36 GMT (UK) »
It appears that I attached in error a previous version of the document I intended to attach.  This attachment should provide the stage performances I have been able to discover for John Campbell.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hi TC

Perhaps you've seen this by now, but looking at the chronology 1915 in Lanarkshire seems like the right Margaret Dunsmore:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=%22the%20lass%20with%20the%20delicate%20air%22%20dunsmore

And a couple of more references here:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1910-01-01/1919-12-31?basicsearch=%22margaret%20dunsmore%22&phrasesearch=margaret%20dunsmore&newspapertitle=motherwell%2btimes

You'll need to register, but when you register you get to download three pages which is just about right.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 04:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the references.  That is indeed my grandmother.

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at The Stage archive? Searchable online for free, but you'll need to pay, I think £5, for a day's access to the images. It's been very useful in my research.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan