Author Topic: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road  (Read 95369 times)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 06 September 09 14:39 BST (UK) »
btw, you mentioned accumulators earlier?... what where they? some kind of batterry?

And as for me... ive been trying to find a pic of bradmore recreation grounds concrete castle, but alas w no luck, that was an old memory for me that I would dearly love a pic of as I spent the majority of my time there as a kid.. surely there must be photos of that!? it was there till hmm mid 80's at least
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 06 September 09 15:23 BST (UK) »
I will have to jog your mothers memory here as regards to the shops at Bradmore.
Vaughans the grocers had a double front to it with an entrance either end as did Talbots.
Vaughans, the last time I was in Wolverhampton was a window fitting firm. As to Talbots I don't know who is there now.
I can still see Mr Vaughan clearly in my mind in his white smock. He used to have a moustache. He had a really good looking wife and two daughters. I think the eldest one was Pat and the youngest, who went to America was Angela.
The Talbots as I said before were identical twins and used to have brown smocks. Mrs Talbot used to work in the shop as well. There were two lads Bob being one of them. He lived in one of the newer houses at the top of Uplands Ave.
I remember the bike shop by the Gunmakers. If I remember correctly it was slightly below the footpath level.
She is correct with the fish shop though. I had forgotten about that until you reminded me.
Bantocks, during the war used to have big wooden posts stuck in the ground to prevent the Germans landing and after the war there used to be a yearly cattle type show in the lower part of the field. The Highlands Rd end.
Up towards Bantock house there used to be some pigsty's where a Leslie Foster used to keep quite a few.
I can't picture your castle though. I remember the playground being built in about 1949/50 well before the golf course was built.
Can your mother confirm the name of a shop for me please?
The ones by the Gunmakers. There was an ironmongers called Gamsons, then a type of sweetshop called something like Roseberrys? and then an electrical type shop.
I think your mother is a couple of years older than me but I am sure she would have visited the Penn cinema at some time. Any stories about that? What school did she attend? Does she remember the Grace's who lived in the terraces by the Gunmakers?

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 06 September 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
I'll ask her the questions, but I can tell you that yes, she went to the penn cinema very very often, i know her dad used to take her there too as well as going w her cousin (who sadly died last week) but the castle I waqs on about, wasnt bantock, it was the bradmore recreation ground (the rec) in church road, my second childhood home LOL

Talbots i remember well, but in latter years obviously when it was a florists

you forgot tho to tell me what accumulators are? lol are they a batterry type of thing?

For me personally.. i adore local history, especially of bradmore for I only know parts... of its past, but its eerie how my fascination for it all then turned out to be a family tie! (especially my great great great uncle being a Gunlock maker in bradmore lol )
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 06 September 09 15:44 BST (UK) »
And i forgot to add, the grocers by the old post office.. yes it was Jones, I had forgotten his surname till you said it tho, I always knew him as Frank... but Im guessing it was the son... that I knew, (with me being younger) he was a friend of my dads, and Frank Jones later had the fireplace yard in great brickiln street... and Im not sure, but he either lived in... trysul road, down at the bend between the cobblers and woodland road, he either lived in a house there or owned it and rented it out... i wonder what ever happenned to him..... lol
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 07 September 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
I remember the concrete castle well as we used to play on it when we went to see my auntie Gladys who lived in Victoria Road - had forgotten all about that till you mentioned it

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 07 September 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
aww you do? wonderful wasnt it? Ive never seen another like it... but grrrr why cant i find a single pic of it!!!LOL
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 29 October 09 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Having just viewed this thread and noticed the reference to accumulators, my paternal grandfather used to re-charge some kind of battery for people to use with their radio. I think they paid him for this service, which I remember from about 1947. Perhaps we should start a new thread to answer this query?
giraffe
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
GARFIELD, Edgbaston and Wolverhampton
JOHNSON, Wolverhampton and Bilston
ATKINS, Wolverhamptonand Bilston

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 31 October 09 00:59 GMT (UK) »
well its a word, term ive never heard of, was it some kind of battery charger then?
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 31 October 09 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Here is a sight which will explain things for the youngsters.

http://bygonederbyshire.co.uk/articles/Wireless_transmissions_-_the_early_years

Bob.