Author Topic: Bridget FLOOD  (Read 36406 times)

Offline malbec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cornelius Family Crest
    • View Profile
Bridget FLOOD
« on: Saturday 05 September 09 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace my 3xGreat Grandmother Bridget Flood (married surname Whittaker).

Bridget died in Armidale in Australia in 1900 with her age given as 81 years (so birth year around 1819). Her birth place is listed
as "Munstreven, Kildear, Ireland".  I have interpreted this to be Monasterevin, Kildare, Ireland. 
Her father's name is given as Thomas with her mother's name unknown.

There is some speculation as to her year of birth. At the time of her marriage in 1843 she was 19, giving a year of birth of around 1824.
On her youngest daughters birth certificate her age in Feb 1857 is given as 30 so a birth year of 1826/7.  Also on this birth certificate
Bridget's place of birth is listed as Kildangan, Ireland. To me this strengthens the likelihood of her birthplace being Monasterevin.

Bridget's death certificate states that she has been in Australia for 60 years indicating she immigrated around 1840 but I've been
unable to find any trace of her arriving in Australia as yet.

On the https://brsgenealogy.com/ifhf/index.php  website I found a Bridget Flood, born 10/2/1825. Father Thomas, mother Ellen Garten.
The address is given as Derryoughter, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare.  The informants are listed as Peter Byrne and Mary Kelly.

Is there anyway I can prove that this is "my" Bridget??

Thanks  :)
Bec

Cormack,Doull,Geddes,Green,Phimister,Sinclair,Sutherland-Caithness
Cornelius-Burma
Mackenzie/McKenzie-Ross & Cromarty, Caithness, Edinburgh, Burma
Skinner-Kent, Madras
Meakin,Whittaker-Staffordshire
Flood-Kildare
Brodie-Australia, Dundee
Tickle-Birmingham
Torrens-Derry

Offline ambyrne1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget FLOOD
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Bec,

You can never prove that is Bridget when going back that far but I would say thats a strong possiblity that the record from the Irish History Foundation is correct one especially around the date and the the father is Thomas.

There are two other Bridget Flood for that time if they are not Thomas then you have your record.

Do you know if Bridget emigrated from Ireland or was she living in England before emigrating?

Ann Marie

Wilson: Kirkoswald, Scotland and Dublin
Breen: Hendrick Street, Brunswick Street,Dublin
Moore: Kildare and Dublin
lyons: Hendrick Street and Brunswick Street,Dublin
Donnelly: Marrowbone lane, Braithwaite street, Dublin
Byrne: Mercer Street, Dublin
Mills: Dublin, Wicklow
Higgins: Dublin
Gray: Aryshire, Scotland
Mills King, Wicklow and Dublin
Donegan, St Catherines Parish, Dublin
Murphy: Enniscorthy and Ballybanoge, Wexford
Browne, Crean, Kelly, Keavney: Sligo.

Offline malbec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cornelius Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann Marie,

I have no idea if Bridget emigrated from Ireland or England...haven't actually been able
to find her arrival here yet.  ???  I'm waiting for my membership card from the New South Wales State
library to come through to see if I can turn up anything there.  So far everywhere else I've searched
has been a dead end.

She married an English convict (George Whittaker) but as he was transported here in 1835 and she didn't arrive till
1840ish (and would have been about 10 in 1835) I'm assuming they met here and not in England.

Bec
Cornelius-Burma
Skinner-Kent, Madras
Flood-Kildare
Brodie-Australia, Dundee
Tickle-Birmingham
Torrens-Derry

Offline wrigbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Bridget Flood married to George Whittaker is also my ancestor. I have that she was born between 1814 (based on the date in her immigration record) and 1819 (based on her death cert). She is the daughter of Thomas and Mary (who were deceased when she emmigrated in 1840). She was born in Munstreven Kildear Ireland (spell?). And she arrived on the ship Elphinstone on 8 October 1840. The passenger record states that she was Roman Catholic and could not read nor write.
hope this helps. :)
regards
Beth
Wright, Unsworth, Scott, Creed, Wells, Hatchman, Hulse, Whittaker, Flood, Raysdown, Norris, Fitchett.

Offline malbec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cornelius Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Beth!

Thank you for replying.  ;D  I have been trying to find when Bridget Flood emmigrated without success,
although still I'm not sure this is the right one.  Am I reading correctly that she was 6 when she arrived
in Australia? If so that would make her 9 when she married George Whittaker in 1843.  Young even for then  ;)
The record I'm looking at is here http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.asp?series=NRS5316&item=4_4787&ship=Elphinstone The information on Bridget Flood in this record is on page 2 and you may need to copy the image and zoom in!

Can I ask which child of Bridget's you descend from?  I have recently found that though she married George
and her first child, Mary Ann is recorded as George's, all the other children (with the exception of Joseph whose
birth record I haven't found) have been recorded with Joseph (George's brother) as the father.  My second cousin
put it that "they may have had an interesting family life!"  ;)

I had seen on various family trees that I've found on the internet that Bridget's mother's name was Mary but I wondered
if this might have been mis-transcribed from the 1825 birth certificate I mentioned in my original post where Mary was listed
as an informant?

Feel free to PM me and maybe we can compare notes! We're obviously related.  :) I have several of the documents relating to Bridget and George and am happy to share info.

Cheers,
Bec

ps I have now found the "Unmarried female immigrant" record stating she was 26. Interesting there is such a wide variety of possible dates of birth.
Cornelius-Burma
Skinner-Kent, Madras
Flood-Kildare
Brodie-Australia, Dundee
Tickle-Birmingham
Torrens-Derry

Offline wrigbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
According to the immigration record she was 26 when she arrived in Australia (i.e. born in 1814) however according to her burial stone. she was born in 1819. My guess is that either could be right  but the reality is that she probably didn't know the exact year she was born. The birth certificates of her children put her age all over the place (for example the one for Ellen in 1857 states her age as 30 when really she would have been around 40).

And yes most of the birth certificates state Joseph as the father. Certainly it seems that Joseph lived with them and for some reason took responsibility for ensuring that the births were recorded. Since none of them could read or write its possible that they simply weren't that bothered about ensuring that the details were correct. But it is odd that I have a death certificate for Joseph that states that he died 11 Sept 1865 but George's burial stone states that he died 12 Sept 1865.
My only other thought is that Bridget was actually in a relationship with Joseph but married George - perhaps Joseph was already married in England. I don't know, but what ever the answer you are right , they certainly had an interesting family life.
The immigration record I am working from is attached (Mary as her mother's name is from this).
I am a descendant of Rosannah Whittaker who married James Scott. I have photos of Rosannah. Also I have found this photo on the web of a Bridget Flood who emigrated around the time that our Bridget did. I would love to know if this is her although I suspect that Bridget Flood was a fairly common name. http://www.irishfaminememorial.org/orphans/orphans.htm  .

regards beth

Image removed in case of copyright violation
Wright, Unsworth, Scott, Creed, Wells, Hatchman, Hulse, Whittaker, Flood, Raysdown, Norris, Fitchett.

Offline malbec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cornelius Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 09 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beth,

Yes I found that record after I'd replied to you. :)

Bridget certainly has a large range of possible birth years.

Have you seen George's burial stone? I thought he died in Inverell in 1874? 

I had seen that picture of Bridget Flood but thought that since the Orphans didn't arrive until 1848 that
it was a bit too late to be "our" Bridget.

I am descended from Ellen. It was quite strange but I found she's actually buried in the town where I live.
We only live 3 blocks from the cemetery so I'd been driving past her for 10 years or so without knowing she was there.  I visit her every month or so and put flowers on her grave. Bridget and Joseph are supposed to be buried here too but I haven't managed to find their graves.

Could I PM you my email address to get a copy of Rosannah's photo?  It might give me an idea of what Ellen looked
like. I have a photo of Ellen's daughter (my great-grandmother) and it would be nice to compare her (Jessie) to her Aunt.

I don't suppose we'll ever solve the mystery of Joseph, George and Bridget but it's nice to "meet" another relation.

Cheers,
Bec
Cornelius-Burma
Skinner-Kent, Madras
Flood-Kildare
Brodie-Australia, Dundee
Tickle-Birmingham
Torrens-Derry

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 January 10 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wrigbe
I have been reading What you posted to Malbec. I have Flood family that arrived on the 8/10/1840 to Sydney on the Elphinstone
They were James and Catherine with 3 children John 4, Thomas 3, and Bridget 6 so we have a connection
I would like to know if you found any more out about the family back in Ireland I have not got James mother maiden name I know it's Mc? do hope you can help Chatso58   

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 January 10 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malbec
we seem to have a connection but my Bridget is buried in Carcoar district N.S.W
The family seems to have settled in Carcoar and there are some relevant headstone inscriptions online at http://www.ozburials.com/CemsNSW/carcoar1.htm hope this helps
                           Cheers Chatso58