Author Topic: Are these original houses?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline gaygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Are these original houses?
« on: Monday 31 March 14 02:47 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors living in 1871 Census at 52 Upper Pembroke St. Islington,

I have looked at the house online and wondered if it would have been the original house as there were fourteen people living there or would it have been demolished and rebuilt.

Thanks.
Reseraching - Gibson Flannagan Chiverton Ellwood Limbrick Hobbs Baldock Law Payne Sanders Cartwright Beard Tanner Hall

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are these original houses?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 05:13 BST (UK) »
What are their names please?

Renumbering and changes of street names may have occurred over the years, so what you see today at that address may be different from 52 Upper Pembroke Street in 1871, hence my request for their names which I would like to check on the census.

Fourteen people at the one address may mean several rented rooms in the one building.

Offline gaygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 14 05:41 BST (UK) »
The names are

William Limbrick   Head  aged 28   Railway Carriage Examiner    born Gloucester
Euphemia Limbrick  Wife   age 24
Henry
William
Thomas
Emma Tanner  - Servant

I hope this helps.

Reseraching - Gibson Flannagan Chiverton Ellwood Limbrick Hobbs Baldock Law Payne Sanders Cartwright Beard Tanner Hall

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 March 14 05:44 BST (UK) »
I have had a quick look at Pembroke Street/Avenue on google maps and all I can see is what looks like community housing from the 1960's or possibly a bit later. I am on my ipad and google street view is not easy to use, so I may have missed something. I will look again later when I have access to the desktop PC.

Thanks for the names too -  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 March 14 06:20 BST (UK) »
I see on google maps there is part of Pembroke St that you can't travel along. I am wondering if this might have been 'Upper' Pembroke Street? The whole area looks recently developed.

I will have a look at some old maps of the area.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 March 14 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Don't think the road you're looking for is on these lists but just thought I'd tell you about the site

http://www.maps.thehunthouse.com/Streets/Street_Name_Changes.htm

It's quite an interesting website if you have London ancestors and if you go to the home page there is more info  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 March 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is it Upper Bemberton Street?

http://mapco.net/whit1865/whit25.htm

Second box down on the right hand side.

KR
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 March 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
and if it is Upper Bemberton Strret then that on the list with the very small change to Bemberton Street.

No.....correction, it's Bemerton not Bemberton Street. Wonder if it is the right one  ???
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 March 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is it Upper Bemberton Street?

I thought it looked a bit like Pemberton actually, but if you go back a couple of pages on the 1871 census the street name is written more clearly and it is Pembroke.

Bemerton and Upper Bemerton Streets appear earlier in the enumerator's walk for the area. Today the street is still there, running south of Pembroke Street. It used to continue further north parallel to Pembroke Street.

The enumerator also mentions many instances of "occupier" and "tenements" in the address column. As the Limbrick family had a servant (albeit an 11year old girl) I am wondering if perhaps they were better off, and the house was a larger dwelling with the basements which they let out, which might explain why there are a couple of other families also living at No 52?

Added:
If you look at google street view at the houses on the north side of Gifford Street (which runs into Pembroke St), you will see some rather lovely three storey houses, possibly with basements. Looking at an old map of the area which marks out each house, it looks as though the houses along Pembroke St were a similar size to the houses which have survived in Gifford St, but perhaps a little smaller. Perhaps they were two storeys rather than three? Such a shame that they have all been replaced with those horrible modern things, though of course bomb damage is a possibility rather than wanton destruction.

I have not yet found exactly where Upper Pembroke St is, but will keep looking. :)