Author Topic: Richard Smith Cordwainer in British Navy  (Read 5504 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Smith Cordwainer in British Navy
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
That does looks like Annie Emma
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
Two lots of Joseph and Mary parents in that 1871 marriage.

I can see a marriage to Elizabeth Simkins on 9 November 1883 where he records his parents as Joseph and Sarah.

Offline Dramagal27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
Agree about Annie Emma.
Joseph and Sarah or Joseph and Mary? I tend to believe Joseph and Mary.
Btw: I know the Simpkins name from the family bible. This is indeed wife number three.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
Just noting a Richard Smith, boot and shoe maker, born circa 1833/4 in Shoreditch, in the 1861 census at 4 Type Court in Finsbury. Trouble is he has a wife Harriett L J, and 4 children. Can't see them in the 1871 census.
In the same dwelling is a George Anderson (22) with wife Mary (21) and the inlaws Robert (58) & Mary Smith (62)

That Richard Smith married Lucy Harriet Jane Oddy - Islington reg dist Dec qtr 1852.  The marriage confirms his father is Robert Smith occ Lighterman.

I can't see them after 1861 either
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
Lovell's Canadian Dominion Directory, 1871 records a Richard Smith, shoemaker in River Beaudette, Quebec. Can't see him in the 1871 census.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 11 April 14 08:17 BST (UK) »
Marianne:

Unfortunately, I cannot add anything to this thread, but I was surprised to come across it as my ancestors were George and Julia Ibbotson.

Small world, I guess.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 11 April 14 09:29 BST (UK) »
It is late here and my apologies if this was already mentioned but do you know where Richard Sr. is buried?  If so, perhaps you could write to the cemetery office to see if they can tell you where he was born.  Some of the Toronto cemetery offices can and will give information to relatives; other cemetery offices will not do so.  I had a brickwall ancestor and thankfully written in the cemetery notes was his town of birth (I had previously only known that he was born in England).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)