Author Topic: A.J.Burnett & Sons,Drapers,Portadown  (Read 22777 times)

Offline mcburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A.J.Burnett & Sons,Drapers,Portadown
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 December 09 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Curley,
I was interested to learn that your father was William Burnett. I have a family bible dated 1754 from Ireland. It was brought to Canada in about 1832 with my great-great grandfather Samuel. It contains the names of whom I presume are his brothers and sisters, ei
George Burnett 1789-1804, John Burnett b Feb 4 1791, James Nov 4 1794-1821, Rachel Burnett 1800-July 2 1868, ???iam Burnett aft 1800, Samuel Burnett 1807-1895, Ann Burnett b1810, Adam Burnett b1816. I have no idea what the parents names were, but a family story states that there were three brothers who fought with William of Orange and were given 100 acres of land. My brother met an Alexander Burnett when he was visiting  and Alexander claimed that he was farming  a part of the original land grant. I believe Alex lived near Magherafelt. (Spring Bank Coagh???)

My ancester Samuel married Martha Cotten (Cotton) in Ireland before 1832.
Rachel married Hugh Homes and came to Canada between 1840 and 1850.

The mention of Cookstown and Ardtrea Parish in the bible gave me the clue to look in your part of Ireland.
I was very pleased to receive notice of the video clips of the Festival in Portadown in 1961. I wish you the very best for 2010.
Clarke B.

Offline Curley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mcburn
Sorry about delay.
You said that your brother visited Portadown in the sixties. What was the relationship between your family and Burnett,s of Portadown. I have a lot of info on all three families who lived in Ballnagarve, but cannot get the relationship sorted out. The story about William of Orange is a distinct possibility as the three farms known to me are all beside each other.
I have a researcher in Canada , who has done a lot on families from Ballnagarve at home and in Canada , would be very interested in contacting you.
I will P.M you his e.mail address ,
Looking forward to hearing from you
Austin
Burnettof Magherafelt,Portadown,U.S.A,New Zealand
Henry of Cookstown,U.S.A,Australia.
Brown,McIntyre,Foster,McKnight

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 March 10 20:13 GMT (UK) »

John and Susan Burnett were my uncle and aunt - she was my father's sister. They attended the Friends Meeting-House in Portmore Street. I know that because my family attended the same meeting. Bill and his younger brother David moved to the presbyterians, but I can't remember when.

Gillian

Offline Curley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 December 13 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Looking for some information on William James Burnett, son of Andrew Burnett and Eleanor Robinson. born 4 July 1878. Mother died soon after and father remarried.
Both families can be seen in 1901 except for William James.
Any ideas on where he went would be appreciated
Curley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 December 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking for some information on William James Burnett, son of Andrew Burnett and Eleanor Robinson. born 4 July 1878. Mother died soon after and father remarried.

There's a birth in November 1879 for Andrew, son of Andrew James Burnett & Eleanor Robinson- so Eleanor must have died after Nov.1879:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGNK-KYR

Possible death in 1881? (Portadown is in Lurgan registration district) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FTSC-W66

Family in 1901 & 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Portadown_Urban/Castle_Street/1029310
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Portadown_Urban/Church_Street/299933

It's possible that Andrew James Burnett mentioned his son William James in his Will: "Burnett Andrew James of 3 Annagh Terrace Portadown county Armagh draper died 17 April 1927 Probate Belfast 7 September to William Dunn and Frank Carlile wholesale warehouseman. Effects £4212 3s. 7d." see www.proni.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 February 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Curley

Have you tried Emerald Ancestors or the Irish Family History Foundation?

Gilli

Offline Curley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 May 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi all
In the 1911 census,the following members of the Burnett family are involved in shirt and blouse manufacturing.
James ,shirt factory manager.Eliz,blouse designer,THomas,cutter and Mary ,cutter.
Can anybody indicate where this factory was located in Portadown?
Many thanks
Curley