Author Topic: Looking for Auntie Betty  (Read 11300 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Looking for Auntie Betty
« on: Saturday 15 March 14 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Help needed please. I am looking for;
Betty Stonehouse b 1913 in Durham the daughter of Edwin Stonehouse and his third wife Minnie Muir.
My Mum told me years ago that she was a Matron in a hospital. Her notes say: "Only Betty lived beyond childhood and now lives in Aberdeen aged 82. As at 1995"( referring to the children of Edwin and Minnie) She was the half sister of my Grandad.
I am hoping to find out about her nursing carer and which hospital's she worked in. Can any one help?
I started this topic in the Common Room but as i now know where she was i have posted here.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=680560.0

Carol
Edit: she died 1998.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Auntie Betty
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 March 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Did you check freebmd births - she was born as Winifred B Stonehouse
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 March 14 19:44 GMT (UK) »
No I didn't. I keep forgetting about FreeBMD. But in my notes that i am slowly reading through she has Winifred Betty know as Betty. Thank you.
Just need to find out about her nursing carer and where she trained. She never married.

Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Aberdeen city archives are a wonderful source of information, and I seem to remember that they have a almost complete record of hospitals in Aberdeen. I would suggest sending them an email to see if they can help - archives@aberdeencity.gov.uk

Good luck
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a great lead. Thank you. Will e-mail them today.

Carol

and many more.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I think you may find that the hospital records are in the Grampian Health Board Archives, rather than Aberdeen City Archives; and that they are housed in Aberdeen University Library.

Whether they contain details of staff rather than patients I do not know; or whether, if they do have staff records, the more recent ones are closed to researchers.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a list of Aberdeen Hospitals here:

http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/Hospitals.htm

I worked at a Research Unit at Foresterhill in the 1970s and had to go around quite a few of the hospitals collecting information. They have changed considerably over the years.

As Forfarian says, there might be a restriction on any records. Have you thought of  looking for an obituary (Press and Journal Archives for e.g.). This might give info on her appointments.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Northern Health Services Archives - www.northeastscotlandroots.com/northern-health-services-archives/
The above link is from our own Links to Aberdeenshire Resources board!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Northern Health Services Archives - www.northeastscotlandroots.com/northern-health-services-archives/
The above link is from our own Links to Aberdeenshire Resources board!
flst

However, it does have the caveat that:

Researchers should note that records containing confidential personal or medical information are normally closed for periods of 75 or 100 years.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***