Author Topic: Army School, Silakot, India  (Read 459 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army School, Silakot, India
« on: Thursday 23 October 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
I am wondering why one Ernest Bramall, born in Sheffield in 1901, was in India in 1920.  We have a certificate of Education issued by the Army School at Silakot in 1920.  He would have been too young to have been conscripted, but I suppose he could have enlisted young.  Why was he at school when he would have been 19?  He was back home in Sheffield by 1922. 
I've been busy googling but not turning much up.  Hoping some one more expert in these things can help.
He was listed as a Private, 3rd Prince of Wales Dragoon Guards Regiment.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army School, Silakot, India
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 October 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
There is a record for Royal Tank Corps enlistments
Bramall Ernest  enlisted 24 May 1919 aged 181/2 Fireman from Hillsborough, Sheffield, Yorkshire
Father Ernest Bramall, 269 Hunshelm? Rd,Sheffield.

cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 October 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
Soldiers took education certificates while serving. For most periods you need a 1st Class Education Certificate to be promoted to Sergeant for example. The lowest in the 20th Century was 3rd Class.

There are a number of possibilities. He could have been conscripted from the age of 18. Or he enlisted as a Regular for 12 years - three years in uniform followed by nine years in the army reserve - after the war had ended. Reservists did not record the fact on BMDs for example as they only served two weeks a year. Or he may have been surplus to requirements in 1922 as a number of cavalry units were merged, and a number of Irish regiments were disbanded.

If you want to risk £30 you could see if the MOD have his service record. You should ask at the two regiments named first. One of them may have a copy of his record.

Ken

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 October 14 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks! I've let all my subscriptions lapse but curiosity got the better of me so I took a one month subscription out to findmypast. yes Cath, that's the one. He enlisted aged 18 but bought himself out in 1921 for £17.10.0, which I'm guessing was a lot of money. His certificate was 3rd class. He enlisted as a Private and left as a Lance Corporal. He must not have taken to army life. His conduct had been good. Thank you for the replies.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)