Author Topic: death lookup Mary Tait 18 Feb 1733 Traquair please  (Read 1801 times)

Offline lostintimeandpace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
death lookup Mary Tait 18 Feb 1733 Traquair please
« on: Sunday 07 September 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
Could someone kindly do a lookup for the death of  Mary Tait on 18 Feb 1733 in Traquair

I'm interested to know in what part of Traquair she died.

Thank You.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: death lookup Mary Tait 18 Feb 1733 Traquair please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 September 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
The only source of information for burials and deaths pre 1855 and the start of official registration in Scotland will be the Old Parish Registers (which are available to view on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk). You have an exact date of 18 Feb 1733. What is the source for this?

If you are lucky to find an entry in the Burial and Death registers, a lot of the time not much info is likely to have been included. Often the entry on these types of registers will be just a name and date, sometimes age. However, you do not know until you look if any additional info was included as they varied by parish and clerk.

Monica   :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 September 14 14:01 BST (UK) »
Her burial does appear in the OPRs on Scotlands People but, as Monica says, usually very little else is given.

The Monumental Inscriptions for Traquair are available to purchase from The Scottish Genealogy Society and might give details if she had a grave stone:

http://shop.scotsgenealogy.com/acatalog/Peeblesshire_MI.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 September 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
I was hoping someone may be at either hawickhub or one of the other centres, who, while doing research, could pop this in. The traquair deaths had the area where the person lived. Traquair is split into many hamlets, and the hamlet is what I require.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 September 14 18:50 BST (UK) »
There are no death records for Traquair http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/traquair.asp

The entry on SP was for a coarse mortcloth rental.

It seems there was only one town named Traquair http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/PEE/Traquair

Curious - do you know who her parents were and whether or not she married.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 14 18:59 BST (UK) »
Although there is only 1 town called Traquair, the way these were written in the 1730s was to give the hamlet where the event took place. Each record would go along the lines of "A Person in Kailzea", or "A Person in Pirn" or "A Person in the Riggs".

The part I am interested in is the bit after "in". I have no concern as to the actual death date, my concern is the hamlet within Traquair where she lived.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
As you say, there is one parish called Traquair but various 'townships' or settlements. As long term Scottish researchers, we are all aware of this. However, as Don says, the parish register entry is for a Mortcloth and does not mentions which township Mary was from.

I attach a snip from the parish records.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
Although there is only 1 town called Traquair, the way these were written in the 1730s was to give the hamlet where the event took place. Each record would go along the lines of "A Person in Kailzea", or "A Person in Pirn" or "A Person in the Riggs".

These won't be hamlets. They will be individual farms or houses.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.