Author Topic: Doune church, Macduff  (Read 6550 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doune church, Macduff
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 April 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
If the father was a gardener, there is a very good chance that Helen was born in Haddington. Gardeners to estates were quite mobile and he could have been employed in the Lothians and then moved to a job at one of the "big houses" in the neighbourhood of Macduff/ Banff/ Alvah. Scottish gardeners were much in demand throughout Great Britain and those from the Lothians had a good reputation. Most of the owners of the estates around Banff spent some time in Edinburgh each year.  If Helen had moved when she was very young, that might account for her birthplace being given as Banffshire in 1841. Maybe her husband forgot and just told the enumerator in 1841 that everyone came from the county. Saying "Haddington" in 1851 is a very definite statement. That year the actual parish of birth was being asked about for the first time, not just a casual "You'll all be from Banffshire then?" I would discount the Pitgair suggestion. There was nowhere there with a potential employer for John.

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 April 13 18:01 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you very much for that GR2, its amazing what slant local information can put on an assumption. Yes that would explain the travel for such a distance ;D

Many thanks to everyone again :D
Jackie
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 April 13 23:24 BST (UK) »
Just thought I would let you know GR2 that your hunch was right. I have found the baptism for Helen Houston on Freereg at Haddington, but the fathers name is down as  John Craile and the mothers as Sarah Reddoch. No wonder I couldnt find it at first  ;) ;)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 April 13 08:00 BST (UK) »
That's good, but you will have to see the original entry in the register to make sure the spelling of the name is correct and has not been mistranscribed in view of the Craile/Craib inconsistency. You have certainly found the correct person. The original entry might give you a clue as to John's employer. You can now also search for him in the north east of Scotland (under all the various spellings of Craile!).

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 April 13 09:01 BST (UK) »
I've downloaded it from Scotlands people GR2, hunting now for the parents  ;D
Thanks again
Jackie :D