Author Topic: Heaffey-Mallow  (Read 15991 times)

Offline lifes too short

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heaffey-Mallow
« on: Friday 23 December 05 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more info on a William John (or possibly John) William Heaffey. He is showing on the 1901 census being born in Mallow Cork around 1849. I know that he was a soldier in England in 1871, married a Canadian whilst in the army and settled in Kensington in late 1800's. The surname is an unusual spelling and may have been changed from Heafey or Heaffy but any help/lookups for this surname would be much appreciated. :)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Heaffey-Mallow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 December 05 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Seasons Greetings,

I used http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php to search for Heaffey. This did not produce a result so I searched again, this time for Heafey and several names were shown as living in Ireland during the years 1848 - 64 which was the time when Griffiths Valuation was conducted.

All the Best Christopher

Offline lifes too short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 December 05 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher

I'll have a look, many thanks and Happy Christmas!!!

Offline Dimar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 November 08 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if anything further happened on this query.  My maiden name is heaffey I have traced back to my great grandparent William John Heaffey and Catherine Harper who married in Halifax Nova Scotia in 1876.  But then I get stuck partly as she's Canadian and he sometimes puts down on the subsequent census that he was born in Mallow Ireland or London.  Also recently found out about the Castlepooke murders in Doneraile in 1832 and the 2 Heaffey's who were executed for murder would like to know if there's a link.  Can anyone help.

Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 08 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
You are fortunate the marriage took place in Nova Scotia because the marriage registration gives lots of details that might help.

John William (not William John) Heaffey married 19 Feb.1876 (Presbyterian) to Catherine Harper (age 21). His details say that he's age 28 and a baker, born London, son of John William (fireman gas factory) and Catherine.

In 1891 census (Battersea, England) John W. Heaffey, age 42, born Westminster, London.
In 1901 census William John Heaffey, age 52, born Malaw Ireland and wife Katherine born Hona, Scolia, Halefax [Nova Scotia, Halifax] according to Ancestry.

Assuming for the moment that almost all records say John William/William John was born in London- have you tried searching for him and especially his parents in English records? The surname might be under something like Heaphy, etc. You have the names of both parents and father's occupation from marriage details so you might be able to find the family. Even if J.W./W.J. was born in Ireland the family could have moved to England when he was young.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dimar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 08 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for this I have got most of  this info but just can't trace his birth or even his death in England at the moment so I think there is a question re the spelling.  I think a visit to Mallow next year may be in order as I don't think he was born in England. I also think the army plays a part in this as he and Catherine went on to have children born all over the world - Jamaica and Malta.  My grandfather was one, if not the youngest son born in London.  Most of the family died young in their 30's, including Jack, so family history always has been very vague. 

Thanks for your information, I always thought the family were Catholic so that's new.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 November 08 16:10 GMT (UK) »
The bride (Catherine) might have been Presbyterian. Think spelling is a big part of the problem. However, if you start searching for church records in Ireland (if they exist) you need to know the family's religion and where they lived since civil registration of births only started in 1864.

Offline lifes too short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Long time since I originally posted my first request. Have really long since given up trying to trace back any further on the Heaffey side as I believed they originated from Ireland and many of the records were destroyed. Have read the recent postings and am a little confused why aghadoweys marriage details differ to my copy. The names, date and ages agree but the but Johns occupations differ. I have him listed as a Bombardier R.A residing at the artillery park in Halifax. They were married by Rev george Grant of the Presbyterian troops. He can be seen on the 1871 census at the Yaversland Battery IOW and the children were born all the around the world, giving the impression he was indeed in the army. I am still unsure re his first name but as he is listed as John William on the marriage cert, on one of his sons marriage cert (married in a Catholic church) his wifes and own death certificate and all census with the exception of 1901 I think this was his correct name although he may have been known as William. I have been mulling over the idea that he was born in London and have actually found a birth entry for a John Heafy 1847 but the registration district is St Pancras. Would this be correct for someone that states they were born in Westminster? Dimar- I have John W Heaffey down as died J-M 1931 aged 83 again Pancras 1B 20.

Any thoughts on this most appreciated!!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Went back to have a look at marriage record and have enlarged it as much as possible but it's still hard to read. Occupation certainly starts with 'B' and all details point to a military connection:
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/