Author Topic: Ballygarven, Cork  (Read 4086 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballygarven, Cork
« on: Friday 14 February 14 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find the RC baptism records on Roots Ireland of a relative of mine John Valentine Roche born July 10, 1869 at 91 Ballygarven, Cork - does anyone have an idea what parish this was at the time? Also were there Flour Mills near this area at this time? his father is listed as a Miller on the birth cert.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballygarven, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 February 14 04:48 GMT (UK) »
You don't actually need the parish, a baptismal "hit" immediately comes back on the RootsIreland index if you search for John Valentine Roche in 1869 in County Cork.  However, with a couple of minutes of trial and error using the county index search, I can confirm that this record is listed against Doneraile RC parish, the record content is pay to view.

Ballygarvan is a townland in the civil parish of Carrigaline.  You can see it on the map at the link below:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,566757,563804,6,7

This OSI historic 6" to one mile map predates the baptism by some 30-40 years but if you have a look around, you will see a flour mill in the townland of Adamstown to the southwest at Fivemilebridge, for example.

Edited to add: There is also a corn mill to the east in the townland of Kilnahone.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 14 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, however according to Family Search Org - there were two John Valentine Roche's born in 1869. The one in Doneraile had a father David Roche, my relative was born in Ballygarven and had a father John Roche - I am looking for the baptism record to get the name of the sponsors for clues about who else was in John Roche's family, as he married in 1860 so the marriage cert gives no indication who his father was. Also Carrigaline is not a RC parish listed on the Roots Ireland Website, I am wondering what RC Parish Ballygarven fell under in 1869.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 February 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
The Irish Ancestry site at http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/corkerc.htm
shows Ballygarven in the Civil Parish of Ballinaboy and in Ballinhassig R.C. parish - but when Ballinaboy was included in Ballinhassig R.C. parish is not clear.
annclare
Edited: Ballinhassig should read Ballincollig!!! sorry about that.
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 February 14 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Ballygarvan was in either Douglas or Ballinhassig in 1869. Either way, any baptism would be on irishgenealogy.ie.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 February 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I will check under Douglas parish in Roots Ireland Cork website.
 Ireland Genealogy.ie does not list either of the John Valentine's baptisms.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 February 14 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Douglas and Ballinhassig records are both on irishgenealogy.ie. To the best of my knowledge they are not available on the Roots Ireland site. If the baptism isn't immediately appearing for you on the Irish Genealogy site, then there is probably a problem with transcription or the year you are looking for is not there. Check the parish list on the Irish Genealogy site. The correct spelling is Ballygarvan by the way. There is no 'e' in the name.

Offline slantamall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 July 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi AlanR83,
Ballygarvan was part of the Parish of Douglas until approx 1909 when it was transferred to Ballinhassig. These two parishes  have records available online (irishchurchrecords) but only up to approximately 188O. I have found that  persons born in Douglas might be recorded in Ballinhassig. More modern records would have to be followed at the National Library. The  census records for 1901 and 1911 might assist. The townland of Ballygarvan is in the parish of Killinanully. Remember that there are Catholic and protestant parishes when searching in Ireland. The protestant ones are usually linked with the civil parish but can cover parts of the catholic ones. slantamall