Author Topic: William Norgate,11th light dragoon guards  (Read 7006 times)

Offline betyty1712

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Norgate,11th light dragoon guards
« on: Friday 01 October 10 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm new on the site, so not sure just what I'm doing!
I'm trying to find out more about my 3x gr grandfather Private William Norgate, who served with the 11 light dragoons.
I've discovered while doing my family tree that he was apparently murdered at Houqueliers. Northern France in 1818 & I'm trying to find out more about the circumstances of his death.
I'm hoping somebody out there might just have him on their tree & be able to tell me more!!

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Norgate,11th light dragoon guards
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
hi betyty1712
welcome to rootschat ,  could you give us william,s birth date and place of birth only i,ve had a look for his record but it doesn,t show up there are several william norgates,but not the correct dates or reg,s any info you caan post may help to find him
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
William Norgate was serving with his regiment, the 11th Light Dragoons, at Waterloo. He appears on the roll in Capt Jenkin's troop.

After the Waterloo campaign the 11th remained in northern France as part of the Army of Occupation and they were still there in 1818. They embarked for England in Nov of that year.

So that sets the scene...
Do you have a more precise date for his supposed murder? And can I ask what your source is for the murder story?

Where exactly is Houquelins, any idea? Google maps doesn't appear to recognise it.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline betyty1712

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi - Thanks for replying - I wasn't really hopeful of any response at all!!
I've managed to find quite a bit of info on William from various sources. The Hampshire local history society apparently hired a researcher to look into Wiliam's death & passed on their info when I contacted them.
According to their info, he was murdered at Houcqelins(I later found this to be Houcqueliers) on 24th Aug 1818, when the regiment were stationed at Clarques. I've found the place on google maps - just S.E of Boulonge, near the Pas de Calais.
I've not found his dob - he's on quite a few trees on genes, but lots of confusion as to his parents & dob.
According to army records, he was born at Hinton Ampner - if I can find his age on death, it would help to work out his dob & parents!
His rank on death was that of Private; he was present at Waterloo (he's on the roll of honour); he married Catherine Moran  on 23rd Dec 1810 at Wyke church, Weymouth; on his death Catherine was awarded £1.5s10d.

Well - that's about as much as I know about William - if anyone can fill in any gaps I'd be over the moon! I would also happy to compare trees with anyone with any connection.

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 April 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Betyty, just found this message.  I have been doing research into the Hampshire Norgates, as I am also descended from them. There is a William Norcot ( one of the many ways the name has been spelled) who was born in Hinton Ampner who was baptised on 16 Nov 1783, the illegitimate son of Ann Norcot. He might fit the bill.  There is a possibility Ann is the daughter of Richard Norget and Martha Porter.

If you want more info, feel free to contact me.

Linda

Offline betyty1712

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 April 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi - thanks for replying. It's so long since I did anything with my tree it took me ages to work out how to use the website!!!! I got so fed up of hitting brick walls I lost the heart to go on with  research. Hopefully a new clue from you might just give me the will to carry on with things.
I'll have to look into the William Norcot that you mention in your post.
Many thanks,
Kath

Offline jh57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath and Linda,

William Norgate was one of my ancestors, too.

I think I probably have the same info as you both, more or less.I would love to know if he would have been buried in France - would he have got a burial in the local Church?

Also, I've been trying to track what happened to happened to his wife, who remarried and disappears after the 1861 census.

I'm new to the site - is there a way to email each other?

Judy
Wren:Southampton/Hampshire.
Earley:Southampton/Hampshire/Somerset/Wiltshire/Bath/Berkshire.
Norgate:Hampshire/France.
Rouse:Southampton/Hampshire/Wiltshire/Dorset.
Weeks:Southampton/Hampshire.
Humby:Southampton/Hampshire/Wiltshire.
Moran:Ireland/Hampshire/Dorset.

Offline betyty1712

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy - nice to hear from you!

I've no idea where William was buried - I contacted a guy in Belgium who keeps a record of the French war graves, in the hope they might go back to the Napoleonic wars. He replied & said he would try to find out more, but I've not heard any more from him. I guess  he didn't find anything out.
I've got a few bits of info that may be of interest to you - some research done by a Karen Sanders into William's demise, but nothing as to the circumstances of his death.

Apparently Ms Sanders has been in contact with the French records office at the Pas de Calais, but without a reference number they were unable to trace any info.
If I have your e-mail address I'll forward the bits I have, but don't post your address  on the noticeboard - you can send it in a personal message. It's not very often I use Rootschat, so I can't remember how to do it!!! LOL!!
I lost interest in doing my tree for quite some time - fed up of hitting brick walls! I tend to get back into it when the weather turns bad in the winter, or when a message such as yours renews my interest, Maybe you've spurred me on to start looking again!!
When I work out how to send a pm (again!!) I'll send you my e-mail address & we can stay in touch. It's nice to hear from someone looking into the same family.
Talk to you again soon I hope,
Regards,
Kath
PS - do you have a definite dob for William? None of the William Norgates I've found quite seem to tally with the bits of info I have - must be one of them, but for the life in me I can't work out which one!!!

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Click on the small green scroll icon  in the left hand column to send a personal message

James