Author Topic: Frederick Deeming - Notorious murderer  (Read 33425 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Deeming - Notorious murderer
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 August 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
And some on this site too. Shan't quote any names, but some are animal names etc.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sooziwoozi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 24 September 11 12:18 BST (UK) »
I read your posts with interest.

I have been involved with the Ned Kelly skull investigation. I am a related to the Deeming family from Atherstone. My maternal great grandmothers father was Edward Deeming, son of Thomas Deeming. The family Bible has an inscription, "Edward Deeming from his affectionate aunt, I (but may be J or L) Bailey, March 6th 1854.

I am still trying to gather confirmations of my research, as noted here, there are a lot of Deemings from the same area.

My Gran's sister swears blind Frederick is no relation, and that "my" Deemings fled to London to get away from the stigma. My findings so far seem to be leaning to Fred being my Thomas Deeming's (b. circa 1824) brother.

I am seeking confirmation of Edward Deeming's date of birth. I see it listed on Ancestry with 7 Feb 1847, but I haven't found any records to confirm this.

Any information about the Deemings would be so wonderful. I am in Melbourne so I struggle when it comes research that would normally be a trip to the records office.

Please PM me if you can help me untie my family knots and find the truth.

And yes, I have spent some time in Fred's Melbourne Gaol cell staring at his death mask wondering, can he really be a relative??

Thanks

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 24 September 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
The baptism for Edward is on IGI - 7 Feb 1847 - but I can't find a confirmation of his birth.

From the information on the Ancestry trees, these are some of the Deeming marriages in Birkenhead or Tranmere.
Assuming that Edward below is your ancestor, he married in the same church as Fred and so the relationship is fairly certain.
The only way to be absolutely certain would be to order the birth and marriage certificates.

DEEMING Edward - GETLEY (Gatley?) Mary J - Tranmere, St Paul, Wirral - 1875
DEEMING William Henry - BOSTOCK Catherine - Birkenhead, St Mary, Wirral - 1876
DEEMING Thomas Bailey - BATHO Susannah - Birkenhead, St Mary, Wirral - 1878
DEEMING   Frederick - JAMES Marie - Tranmere, St Paul, Wirral - 1881
DEEMING Thomas - CALVLEY Martha - Tranmere, St Paul, Wirral - 1885
DEEMING Leonard - CALVERLEY Elizabeth - Lower Tranmere, St Luke, Wirral - 1896

Hope this helps,

Regards,
David

PS More detail: -

name: Frederick Deeming
event:   Marriage
event date: 28 Feb 1881
event place: St. Paul, Tranmere, Cheshire, England
marital status:   Single
father:   Thomas Deeming
spouse:   Marie James
spouse's marital status: Single
spouse's father: James James
digital folder number:   4018397

name: Edward Deeming
event: Marriage
event date: 19 Jul 1875
event place: St. Paul, Tranmere, Cheshire, England
marital status:   Single
father:   Thomas Deeming
spouse:   Mary Jane Getley
spouse's marital status: Single
spouse's father: Thomas Getley
digital folder number:   4018397

Offline sooziwoozi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 24 September 11 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks David,

The P.S is brilliant.

I have My GGrandmas birth cert, so I can confirm it is Mary Jane Getley.

Thanks again for the info, it's a great help.

Soozi

Offline Nick d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 06 October 11 17:51 BST (UK) »
hi everyone
                   my name is nicky deeming and i was born in nuneaton and have a large family around atherstone and surrounding areas, recently found out about fredrick deeming and his past and i am very interested to see if i am relaited. if anyone can help me or give me advice on the matter i would greatly appreciate it. pm me for my email address thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 October 11 07:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Nick.  :)

You need to make 3 posts before the PM system is activated (this is to prevent spam), so reply a couple more times and anyone who wishes to contact you via PM will be able to do so.

Have you traced any of your family history?

I'm sure one of the experts will be along to try to work out if, and where, you might fit into this family.  ;)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 07 October 11 09:08 BST (UK) »
Nick,

If you are able to make another two posts, it might be best to send a pm to mikecovell of some previous posts. I think he may be the most up-to-date on the project.

I only got involved by accident but have since found out that my wife's 3 x great uncle lived at the end of the street where Fred was born and one of his children was about the same age.
Also, a distant cousin wrote a history of St Paul's church, Tranmere, where Fred and some of his siblings were married. By coincidence, the church bell was made in Whitechapel, close to where Fred claimed to have carried out the Ripper murders.

David

Offline mikecovell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 07 October 11 09:22 BST (UK) »
Morning all, There were two Deeming families in the region, the Deeming family of Atherstone was not related to the Frederick Bailey Deeming clan.  I searched and researched both families to see if there was a link, and found out that the Deeming family of Atherstone had really bad luck.  In the 1800's, the exact date is in my notes, three of the male Deeming's were involved in mining accidents.  None were fatal, but they did involve falling into open cast mines!

I am currently working on several projects pertaining to Frederick Bailey Deeming, including several books, and have a massive collection of material pertaining to him, his family, and those that were affected by him throughout life and in death.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 07 October 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
I am slightly puzzled by your statement about the origins of the Deeming family. The published family trees vary but all agree that his parents came from Atherstone and grandparents from either Bentley or Mancetter.
Although there it unlikely that everybody with the same name in the area is related, it would be possible for someone from nearby Nuneaton to be a relative.

If of any interest, I have some pictures of the streets in Tranmere where the Deemings lived in 1851-71. Also contemporary pictures of the church where Fred and some of his siblings married, together with a photograph of the vicar who probably conducted the service.