Author Topic: Two men called Charles Capper born same time same place  (Read 8150 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Two men called Charles Capper born same time same place
« on: Saturday 28 June 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Charles Capper was born around 1818 in Burland, Nantwich, Cheshire. He married Mary Hughes in 1850 Acton. His father isnt mentioned on the certificate, which leads me to think he was dead or he was illegitimate?
There is another Charles born 1818 in Burland who married Elizabeth Lamb in 1840. His father was listed as John Wright. A baptism record showed a Charles born to an Ann Capper so i think his parents were John Wright and Ann Capper. Just seems like a coincidence that both Charles were possibly illegitimate?
Both Charles are in the census' so its not the same one marrying after his first wife died.
I had considered it being the same man having two families on the go!
Any ideas anyone?!
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Two men called Charles Capper born same time same place
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
I have a g/g/grandfather born in Bristol.  In the same quarter another boy with exactly the same name was born.  And to top it all they died the same year!

But luckily I have discovered through a contact that they are not the same person.  Their chap died in a railway accident.  Mine fell down the stairs in a pub and died from his injuries!

So I would be wary without documentary evidence of assuming they are the same chap. ;)

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 June 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
I think ill have to get the Chester records office to look into it for me if no one on here is able to assist . Youd think a marriage cert would help clear it all up!
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 14 23:24 BST (UK) »

There is another Charles born 1818 in Burland who married Elizabeth Lamb in 1840. His father was listed as John Wright. A baptism record showed a Charles born to an Ann Capper so i think his parents were John Wright and Ann Capper. Just seems like a coincidence that both Charles were possibly illegitimate?

Just to add to that,one of the witnesses was a Thomas Wright,so he may be connected in some way too  ;D

Both Charles Capper and his father John Wright were Labourers. It says he and Eliza were under age,ie below 21,so he must have been born later than 1818,cos that would make him 22.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Charles Capper was born around 1818 in Burland, Nantwich, Cheshire. He married Mary Hughes in 1850 Acton. His father isnt mentioned on the certificate, which leads me to think he was dead or he was illegitimate?

Not necessarily dead or illegitimate -- merely that Charles did not name a father when asked.

I have a marriage where no father is given for the bride, but when checking censuses, she was born well after her parents marriage so not illegitimate, and he was alive and well many years after her marriage, so not dead either!

The vicar /registrar could only record the information as given, no checking as to its correctness was done
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:04 BST (UK) »
It's so strange I can't find the baptism. The Cheshire records are usually very good

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
It may be that he wasn't actually baptised.

My gran wasn't ....out of 10 kids 2 of them weren't baptised - odd hey?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
If that's the case, I don't expect there's anyway of find who his parents were?

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 June 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Did he leave a will mentioning brothers & sisters, nephews & nieces etc?

Or are there other Capper wills from the area that mention him?

You maybe able to link him to a family that baptised some other children, or where a father is mentioned on a marriage certificate etc
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all