Author Topic: J f Hilley architect of Cooks River NSW  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Niceto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: J f Hilley architect of Cooks River NSW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 March 14 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been researching this John Frederick Hilly born about 1810 in Warwickshire and died in Sydney in 1883. I am trying to find his parents. I think he arrived in Sydney in 1839 but I can't find the shipping documents.

Cheers
Niceto

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 March 14 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Niceto,
   Welcome to rootschat  :)

I have just sent you a pm with a link to the probate records.  I'm fairly certain that you can receive one personal message.  After you have made a couple more posts you will be able to use the full pm system.

cheers,
    Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The earliest directory that I can find J F Hilley.

1847 Sydney Directory
J.F. Hilly architect and civil engineer, 555 Goeoge st.

Gerry

Offline Niceto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ros,
Thank you so much for sending me the link to J F Hilly's probate records.  Only joined last Saturday and it was a thrill to receive a reply the same day.  Have saved the  38 pages and here's hoping, with my limited computer skills I can bring up the writing large enough to read. If there is any information I have that someone needs I will be willing to pass on.
 It was my great, great grandparents William & Ann Hilly, who arrived  in Australia in 1839 and acquired land on Cooks River, Enfield and started up a Vinyard and orchard there.  I have no information that J F Hilly the architect ever lived there.  Have lots of info on his :) Sydney existence but having a lot of trouble finding out about JF's arrival and his birth parents. As far as I know he was born in Curdworth, Warwickshire about  1810.
Thanks once again.
Cheers, Niceto

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Niceto,

The 1844 Sydney Directory.
Hilly William, gardener, Parramatta, Road.

Gerry

Offline Niceto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gerry - I have been under the impression that William Hilly purchased the land on the Cook's River about 1840, but if he is listed as a gardener of Parramatta Road in 1844 (which is up the hill from there) perhaps it was later.  His market gardens and orchard on Cook's River were famous for its apples.  I will look into it.

Sent you a reply to  your previous post today earlier, but the page expired and I think it  got lost.
Cheers,
Niceto

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 05:05 GMT (UK) »

1875 Directory has
ENFIELD in the Police District of Parramatta
William Hilly, gardener
Frederick Hilly, gardener
Miss Elizabeth Hilly

Gerry

Offline Jedblue17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about John Frederick Hilly born 1810. I have searched the ships manifests from 1837 to 1839 with no luck. There appears to be no manifests from 1832 to 37 so he may have come to Australia during that time. I would like to know where he was born and if ever married. I am the great great granddaughter of William Newland who build St Thomas' Enfield and am compiling a book for m family on Wiiliam's life.

Offline Niceto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 September 14 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jedblue 17
To try to answer your questions, John Frederick Hilly was born in Curdworth, Warwickshire, England and am having the same  trouble as you are in finding the ship he came out to Australia on, also who his parents were.  I am a Hilly myself, a direct line  from the Hilly's who lived on the Cooks River in Enfield (now named Croydon Park) and lived there myself until about 1960. His marriage record shows he was widowed when he married in 1842 at St Laurence's Church, Sydney,
and suspect his first marriage may have been before he left the UK. Am wondering if perhaps he arrived in Sydney in 1829 not 39 even though he would only have been 19.  I have the names of his  children but this info is too lengthy to include here.  Perhaps  you could PM me with your email address and let me know what further info you require.
Cheers,
Niceto