Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Barnhill Poor House - Donald McDonald  (Read 5543 times)

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)Barnhill Poor House - Donald McDonald
« on: Wednesday 10 September 14 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Help with a look up of records please.  Donald McDonald (b: 1889, Glasgow - d: 12 Oct 1918 Barnhill Poor House). Married 1911 Glasgow to Catherine Lundie (1886-8 Dec 1918, Glasgow).  I could only find one child but there are probably more I'm unable to find.
1. Donald McDonald (2 May 1912, Anderston, Glasgow), no more information on him.

Thanks so much  :)
Dee (Australia).
MacDonald - Fort William, Port Glasgow & Glasgow (Scotland): Casterton & Strathdownie (Australia).
Small - Port Glasgow, Scotland.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Barnhill Poor House - Donald McDonald
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Denise,
Being a Scot/Australian, I too have searched for ancestors records for Barnhill Poorhouse.  Well, actually the records that are available are not the actual Poorhouse records, rather the "Poor Law Relief Application", which anyone who was destitute had to apply for - and this could include admission to the Poorhouse.
As you might know they are available to check out in person if you are lucky enough to visit the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, where they are located.  Seemingly really worth visiting - who knows maybe I might get there one day.

However, they are also available by emailing the archives people there.  I understand that current requests might take a while to fill, as they have been really busy of recent times.  Lucky enough I had a cousin who was there a few weeks ago, and managed to get more records for me.
So - try to email the Mitchell - give them as much information as possible.  The contact details are
Archives
The Mitchell Library North Street Glasgow G3 7DN
0141 287 2910
archives@glasgowlife.org.uk
Good luck with your search.  Whenever I find out that any of my ancestors applied for "Relief", I am delighted (bet you they weren't) - reason being that the records often give lots of really helpful snippets of information - even discovered extra family members through them...
So - happy research - and if you get the records - even if it is only a one page item - study it carefully!!  Truly worth it!

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply, I will email them & keep my fingers crossed.
Dee  ;D
MacDonald - Fort William, Port Glasgow & Glasgow (Scotland): Casterton & Strathdownie (Australia).

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 09:56 BST (UK) »
Snap .... another one here emailing about Barnhill .....  yes, the extra info is a bonus, which was on another person's Poorhouse application. :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, I'll let you know how I get on. Dee

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 September 14 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I didn't expect to hear from Archives so soon ..... I can't complain about the small charge for getting the info sent to me via snail mail.

Hope you hear soon Dee.

Cheers
KHP

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 September 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi,
Thanks for your reply.  Do you they not email the information? Not that I'm impatient, patience is something we all learn doing our research  ::)
Dee

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 September 14 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee,

I don't think they do, my last one seven years ago, was snailed to me.

Cheers
KHP

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 September 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
Big thank you to all you lovely people who answered my question.  ;)  The records have arrived and they are great.  I found 6 more children unfortunately they all died as babies.
Dee