Author Topic: Flinn, Flynn, Flin surname, Dundee  (Read 4108 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Flinn, Flynn, Flin surname, Dundee
« on: Tuesday 08 November 11 12:34 GMT (UK) »
This was a popular surname found in Dundee in early/mid 1800s onwards, with most of those bearing it having originated in Ireland, so it can be difficult to sort out the various family groups.

Anyhow, at moment, I am trying to sort out the family of a sibling in one of my lines.

The chap in question was a John Flynn (Flinn, Flin), born Ireland c1811 and died Dundee in 1877.

His death cert records first wife as a Catherine Trainor (Trainer, Traynor), and second as an Ann McDermond (also various spellings). The marriage to Ann took place in 1858 in Dundee, with John being considerably older than her. They then went on to have a number of children before his death in the 1870s.

I suspect that John had children to his first marriage and have found a possible group in Dundee at 1851, consisting of:

John Flin [sic] b c1811
Catherine         b c1813
and children
Mary Flin aged 20, James Flin 18, Roseann Flin 16, Betty Flin 14, Ann Flin    12,  John Flin 8

All were born Ireland.

The address is Irvines Square, Dundee.

I have also found a death cert for a Catherine Flinn, nee Trainer in 1857, also Irvines Street....age looks to be 49 but not clear, problem being, her husband is named as James (albeit signature is an 'X' for his mark). I can see no corresponding James and Catherine in the 1851 and strongly suspect, given that John re-married in 1858, that this 'James' is actually him. At moment, not seeing John, new wife Ann and first child Nancy (born Dundee 1860) in the 1861 census.

Constructive thoughts on this would be welcome, as too would contact from any fellow Flynn/Flinn/Flin in Dundee researchers who might happen upon this thread and recognise anyone mentioned.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flinn, Flynn, Flin surname, Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
The only 1861 census return that I can come up with that looks anything like what you are after is:

John, 48, born Ireland, Ann, 28, born Ireland, Ann, 6 months, born Dundee ... lodgers with a Thomas Flynn and his family ... Liff and Benvie parish, Dundee, address 15 Blackness (?) Road ...

The Ancestry transcription has the surname as 'Glyn' but the original is clearly 'Flynn'

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Sounds interesting, thanks....I'll check through same.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 January 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Belated update. The family Gali found on Ancestry transcribed as Glyn are on Find My Past transcribed as Llyns  ::). Still can't be sure they are right group, unfortunately.

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 January 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Could be worth looking into a marriage or death certificate for the Thomas Flynn with whom John, Ann and baby Ann were lodging in 1861? 

PM me your email address if you would like the original of the 1861 census entry for the above family. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 January 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
The daughter Ann who shows with the family that Gali found could be this birth maybe https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYR6-4Q6 (nancy/agnes/ann all variants of same name).

Address on this birth cert might help to match up with the address for that 1861 family you have both been looking at. A futher birth cert at the end of 1861 might also help with addresses for the family in that census year https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYB8-97N

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk