Author Topic: Terence and Mary Shields twins  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Auchencrieff

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Terence and Mary Shields twins
« on: Thursday 17 October 13 17:49 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that twins Terence and Mary left Scotland some time between 1871 and 1880. I have found them in Braceville, Grundy, Illinois in the 1880 census and then in Iowa, Greene County, Washington in the 1885 census. However I don't seem to be able to find them after that time. Their parents were Bernard (Barney) and Ann Jane (Argene). Their strong accent probably made it difficult for the enumerator to understand.
Can anyone help me find when they travelled to the USA and what happened to them after 1885?
Thank you
MARSHALL family in Ayrshire, Wigtownshire, Kirkcudbrightshire, Yorkshire, Canada
McHARG in Wigtownshire, Glasgow.
MYLES in Lanarkshire, Ireland, Canada.
HUGHES in Lanarkshire, Ireland, Canada, USA
SHIELDS in Lanarkshire, Ireland, Canada, USA

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Terence and Mary Shields twins
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 October 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
When were they born and where in Scotland

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 October 13 19:04 BST (UK) »
Terry Shields and mother Ann are in Palo Alto, Emmetsburg Co., Iowa in the 1925 state census.  They are there in 1910 & 1915 also.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 October 13 19:33 BST (UK) »
I found a very detailed obituary for Terry Shields, who died approx. 7 Feb. 1930.  It says he was survived by his mother, who had been an invalid for years, a niece, and 4 nephews with the surname Lynch.  No mention of his sister or whether they were her children.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 October 13 19:38 BST (UK) »
Palo Alto Reporter
Thursday, 2 Oct 1930

Mrs. Bernard (Ann Jane) Shields, 95, died Monday, Sep 29, 1930 in Emmetsburg
Burial in Ayrshire cemetery near the grave of her husband

Complete obit sent via PM

Emmetsburg Democrat
2 Oct 1930

Visitors to Emmetsburg to attend the funeral of Mrs. Bernard Shields were her niece, Mrs. Leo Hammersly of, Chicago and Mr. and Mrs. Clif Porter and Mrs. Chas. Keith of Port Dodge and her grandson, T. I. Lynch, of Indiana.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 October 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
I found an obit for Barney Shields Lynch, which said he was predeceased by his parents. 

His death record lists parents as Patrick Lynch & Mary Shields.  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQ3H-G9M

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 October 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
Emmetsburg Democrat
Wednesday, February 21, 1900

Bernard Shields Dead.

Friday morning, at 2 o'clock, Mr. Bernard Shields, who lived several miles southwest of this city, passed away. Mention was made of the stroke of paralysis sustained by him December 9th. Some time after he rallied and was able to be about. The third stroke came at an unexpected hour and he died quite suddenly. The funeral was held Sunday, under the auspices of the Ancient Order of Hi- bernians, of this city, of which he was a member.  The pall bearers were P. Y. Nolan, Thos. O'Connor, J. P. Jennings, P. J. Murphy, Edward McNally, and Charles Flynn, all members of the local division. The services were held in the Ayrshire Catholic church by Father Carroll who is said to have preached  a most impressive sermon. His remains were laid to rest in the parish cemetery at that place. The funeral was very largely attended.

The deceased was a native of the county of Monaghan, Ireland. He was born in 1837. When about 20 years of age he became a member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians and was ever after a faithful and exemplary member. In 1864 he went to Scotland, where he was married. In 1870 he came to the United States, but returned to Ireland soon after, where he remained a year. In 1873 he came back to the United States and settled at Braidwood, Illinois. Nine years ago he came to Palo Alto and settled on a farm about nine miles southwest of this city, .where the family still live. He leaves a wife, one son—Terence—and one daughter—Mrs. P.  (Patrick) Lynch, of Fort Dodge.

Mr. Shields was a typical Irishman and was an upright and most exemplary American citizen. He was abstemious in his habits. His friends and neighbors say he was the soul of honor and that all who knew him entertained the highest regard for him and his family. The sympathy of all is extended to the surviving members of the saddened household.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 October 13 19:56 BST (UK) »
A 1932 obituary for Patrick Lynch indicates that his wife died in 1915.